Colombia derives its name from the Italian explorer who discovered America - Christopher Columbus. Colombia holds a glorious past as it is home to mesmerizing history of Magdalena Valley civilizations which are more than 3000 years old. Many people believe that this is the mythical Golden City of Eldorado existed hundreds of years back. The Muisca civilization was on par with their contemporary Aztec, Inca and Mayan civilizations.
Colombia connects the South America and North America continents, through Panama. On the North, Colombia is flanked by the Caribbean Sea, on the East side it neighbours with Venezuela &brazil and on the South side, it shares a border with Ecuador and Peru. Colombia also has a majestic coastline with the Pacific Ocean on its West.
Bogota D.C is the largest city and the capital city of Colombia. Apart from that Barranquilla, Medellin, Cartagena, Cali, Santa Marta and Buenaventura are the major cities of Colombia. Bogota is a vibrant city teeming with hotels, restaurants, clubs and breweries coming up all around the city. Also, there are many museums, art galleries, gardens and monuments across the Colombia that are a must visit places in Bogota. With the Amazon rainforests, Andes mountains and Pacific Ocean, Colombia is a heaven for adventurers and researchers from around the world.
Also, if you are really fond of running, the MEDELLÍN MARATHON is going to be held on 8th September 2019. This is the 25th anniversary of the sporting event and athletes from more than 100 countries are set to take part in this event. This can be an experience of a lifetime for you. The Colombia Travel and Visa Guide will explain the entire process of obtaining visa for Colombia.
The Visa application can be done online on the official portal of Colombian Consulates. An applicant must be vigilant enough to not allow any inaccuracy or mistakes in the online application form, as that might lead to rejection of the application right away. The online form collects basic information such as your name, education, demographic information, details about your birth and residence, identification and passport details. You can apply online for the Visa on the following link: https://www.cancilleria.gov.co/en/procedures_services/visa/abc
- Give yourself sufficient time to read the online application form and fill-in the required details without any errors.
- Fill in the details about your identity, education, type of Visa, purpose of visit and passport in the form.
- Fill in the details of your host, expected address in Colombia and expected telephone no. in Colombia handy to furnish in the form.
- Answer all the questions in the form and make sure that you answer them correctly. Furnishing false information might lead to cancellation of your application.
- Upload a latest 3 x 4 cm passport size photograph in JPG format, below the 300 KB size in the form. The photograph must cover your entire face, without any accessories, and should be clearly visible on a white background. The eyes should be open and the face must not be covered by any means.
- Keep all your individual documents in PDF format ready for uploading with the application form. The documents should be clearly readable, preferably in a black & white format, and their collective size must be lower than 5 MB in size. Also, the documents other than identity or travel document, must be issued within the last 3 months from the date of application.
- The individual documents must be uploaded in the form in the order specified there. Uploading the document in incorrect order may lead to cancellation of your application.
- You should also be ready to pay the application fees/ Visa study fees through online PSE payment method. The application/visa study fees for tourist Visa of Colombia is approx 52 USD.
Upon successful submission of the online application, you will receive an application number which you can use to track the status of your application and update the application in the future. Also, if a personal presentation is required by the Visa Authority, you will be notified on the registered email ID. Until such time, the application will be processed online.
- A scanned copy of the front page of your passport containing all the information or scanned copy of other valid travel document with your personal details of the applicant and scanned blank page of the passport. All these pages should be compiled in one PDF. The passport must be valid for at least 6 months from the date of travel.
- A scanned copy of last entry/exit Visa stamp or any other valid document showcasing the current migration status, if current residence is different from the nationality furnished.
- A scanned copy of the last Colombian Visa obtained. This is not required if the application is given with OCR.
- If the Visa application is to be submitted or finalized by an appointed representative, attach a scanned copy of notarized Power of Attorney document.
- If the Visa application is sponsored by the applicant or some other individual, the following documents are required to be submitted…
A. A letter signed by the sponsor, confirming the identity of the sponsor (as per the valid passport or ID), details about the relationship with the applicant, purpose of the visit to Colombia and declaration of the economic responsibility for travel and living expenses of the applicants.
B. A scanned copy of last 6 month’s bank statements of the applicant or the sponsor.
- If the Visa application is sponsored by one or more organizations, the following documents are required to be submitted…
A. A scanned copy of the letter signed by the legal representative of the sponsor organization, depicting the name of the organization and contact details, identity confirmation of the applicant (as per the valid passport), details of activity, duration and agenda of the applicant in Colombia, details of the qualification & ties with the applicant, and declaration of the economic responsibility for travel and living expenses of the applicants. If the organization is legally constituted in Colombia, NIT is also to be included in the letter.
B. If the application is sponsored by a private institution or organization, legally not constituted in Colombia, the applicant must attach a scanned copy of duly apostilled or legalized certificate of existence & legal representation or any other equivalent document, as per the requirement. If this document is not in Spanish language, then it should be translated to Spanish and then it should be apostilled or legalized.
C. A scanned copy of the last 6 month’s bank statement, demonstrating the financial solvency of the sponsoring organization. Public entities do not need furnish this document.
- Depending upon the country of origin, if the details of criminal background certification are required, it can be attached along with the application, as per the individual case. Scanned copy of other documents required, such as round-trip ticket booking, can be attached in the PDF format in the last category of the supporting documents.
There are many types of Visa available for Colombia and selecting the right category is the first and the most important step in getting Visa without any hassles. The best part is, you can apply for a Visa for Colombia in person as well as online, which makes the entire Visa process even easier. There are three types of Visa available for Colombia: Visitor Visa, Migrant Visa and Resident Visa.
Visitor Visa (Type V): This Visa category applies to the foreign nationals who wish to visit Colombia for various purposes and not settle as a permanent resident of Colombia. The purpose of the visit could be tourism, education, medical treatment, volunteering or any type of business purpose such as journalism, AV production, intra-corporate transfers, temporary service providers, etc.
Resident Visa (Type R): This Visa category applies to the people who wants to establish or re-establish their permanent residency in Colombia. If you are a Colombian national who has renounced the nationality in the past, if you are a parent of a child born in Colombia, if you have accumulated enough time for permanent residency and if you are interested in doing foreign direct investment in Colombia, you can apply for this category of Visa.
Migrant Visa (Type M): This Visa category applies to foreign nationals who wish to obtain permanent residency in Colombia for establishing themselves in Colombia, but doesn’t fall under the ‘Type R’ Visa. If you are a spouse of a Colombian national, parent or child of a Colombian national through adoption, students, professionals, entrepreneurs, a migrant as per Mercosur Agreement or a refugee, or anyone engaging in independent activities, you can get a Migrant Visa to settle in Colombia.
If you hold an ordinary Indian passport and if you have a visa with at least 6 months’ validity from USA or Schengen countries of Europe while entering Colombia; you don't need a Visa for Colombia.This provision doesn’t include any type of Airport Transit Visa. Also, if you have a resident permit from the USA or Schengen countries of Europe, you don’t need a Visa to enter Colombia.
Fees for Colombian Visa:
Upon successful submission of the Visa application and processing, the Visa Authorities will issue an electronic Visa. You can get the Visa stamped at the nearest Consulate Office or you can also print the electronic Visa and get it stamped at Visa Office in Bogota.
Once you receive the electronic Visa through email, you need to submit the Visa fees within 15 days. You can pay the Visa fees online, at the nearest Colombia Consulate Office or at the Visa office in Bogota, after reaching there. The fees for maximum 90 days tourist Visa of Colombia is approx 82 USD.
A valid passport, a scanned copy of last entry/exit visa or any other document showcasing your migrant status are crucial documents for completing the application process successfully.
The fees to be paid for a Colombian tourist visa are 82 USD.
Having a travel insurance in Colombia is crucial, even though it might not be mandatory. You can get in touch with Bharti AXA for a proper travel insurance policy in order to keep yourself covered from the worst side effects of unforeseen circumstances.
As the region is known to have an equatorial climate, the best time to visit the region is somewhere between December and March, or in between June and September.
Travelling overseas is always fun. It’s more fun when you know your trip is financially secure. That’s why our Travel Insurance is an ideal companion for all journeys’ of your life.
Pan India Branch network Quick and easy claim settlement
Extensive Cashless Garage Network
Instant and simple policy issuance
24/7 Claim Assistance
The following medical expenses are covered:
“Deductible”means a cost-sharing requirement under this policy, that provides that the insurer will not be liable for a specified rupee amount or percentage of claim amount or number of days or number of hours, as specified in the policy schedule and which will apply before any benefits are payable by the insurer. A deductible does not reduce the sum insured and is applicable per event, upto the specified limits mentioned.
You can avail the Travel Insurance online and enjoy the benefits offered by ICICI Lombard General Insurance (Bharti AXA General Insurance*)
Loss of passport and documents:
Reimbursement of actual expenses incurred in connection with obtaining a duplicate or fresh passport or reasonable cost of replacing/obtaining the stolen documents/ tickets if the passport belonging to the Insured / Insured Person be lost
Home Fire Insurance Contents & Home Burglary Insurance (contents):
Cover against any loss or damage of the Contents at Home of the Insured in India caused by Fire and Allied perils or through burglary and/or housebreaking while the Insured is on a trip abroad.
Hijack Distress Allowance
Payment of distress allowance in case of hijack of a common carrier for more than certain number of hours whilst on the trip. You can easily avail the allowance by filing a claim online through Travel Insurance cover online process.
Medical Expensesinclusive of Repartration and Emergency Medical Evacuation
If you are sick or injured during the journey, your medical expenses can prove to be costly. In such cases, Travel Insurance cover greatly helps. The insurance company also offers a cashless settlement with the network hospitals or you can also opt for the reimbursement process within 30 days of hospitalization.
Payment of legal costs and expenses incurred by the Insured towards claims from third Parties for compensation in respect of death or disablement arising due to an injury whilst on a trip abroad.
Payment of compensation if the Insured sustains accidental bodily injury during a trip resulting in death or Permanent Total Disablement or Permanent Partial Disablement within 12 months of occurrence of such injury.
Trip Cancellation/Or Interruption
Payment towards the non-refundable prepaid payments incurred on the trip being cancelled and additional cost of transportation in case of Interruption: due to medical problems, personal employment problems or natural disasters or other listed reason in policy wordings.
Reimbursement of additional expenses if trip is delayed beyond a period, due to airline problems, medical problems, personal employment problems or natural disasters.
Daily Allowance in case of Hospitalisation
Payment of daily allowance for the days the Insured is hospitalised beyond a specified number of days, as mentioned in the Policy Schedule, for which a valid claim is admissible under the Policy whilst on a trip abroad.Emergency Accommodation
Payment of compensation for the additional cost of emergency accommodation if the Insured/ Insured Person could not stay in the accommodation originally booked due to fire& flood, earthquake, storm, hurricane, explosion, outbreak of major infectious diseases.
During a trip there are chances of unfortunate events such as loss of checked in baggage, medical emergency, loss of passport that can spoil your international trip, be it business or leisure. Travel insurance can protect you from such events ensuring that you are left stuck in foreign land.