Travel Guide to Sauraha
Indian Embassy in Sauraha
Embassy of India
P.O. Box. 292
336, Kapurdhara Marg, Lainchaur
Visa Process for Indian Visitors in Sauraha
Indian citizens do not require a visa to travel to Nepal. Indian citizens are required to carry their passports or voter ID card to travel to Nepal.
Sauraha is a village in the Chitwan District of southern Nepal. It is located close to the Rapti River and the Chitwan National Park. The famous Chitwan National Park borders the village. People use Sauraha as a gateway to enjoy the pre-meditated jungle excursions which are one of the best things to do in Sauraha town visit.
Every year, thousands of tourists flock the destinations to enjoy its serene beauty. Sauraha village provides many budget accommodation options to the jungle safari tourists, specifically 3-4-star properties. The town today boasts of small and pleasant tourist life in its quaint surroundings, which consists of modern and comfortable hotels, resorts, restaurants and gift shops.
Places to Visit in Sauraha
Sauraha’s points of interest that tourists must visit include:
- Chitwan National Park holds the prime spot among the tourist places in Sauraha. It is a famous and the first national park in Nepal established in 1973. It was recognized as a World Heritage Site in 1984. Chitwan National Park is a home to wide range of animals like Bengal tigers, bears, leopards, rhinoceroses, crocodiles and monkeys. There are many species of birds and butterflies. Chitwan National Park has over 20,000 lakes and the Dashajar Tal wetland area has bird watching around the lake. It is at a distance of 10 km from Sauraha.
- The Safari Park is at the height of 330 ft. in the River Valley. Between Sauraha and Chitwan is the Rapti River which is one of the famous places in Sauraha since people are permitted to swim in the river. During the summers, the river bed transforms into dunes given its shrunken size. Walking across the river is another interesting idea to tour the path and reach up to the rural Tharu Villages.
- Tharu Museum is another reason to visit the site. Tharu Cultural Museum is for people who seek information on the Tharu Culture with the museum displaying ornaments and a rakshi distillery pot as its prime highlights.
- Devghat is a Hindu pilgrimage destination and clearly a top choice for people who wish to spend time in the religious and cultural centres of central Nepal.
- The town has Seti Gandaki and Krishna Gandaki rivers as its intersection points. The twin rivers are revered as holiest places in Hindu mythology and are also a holy place for Hindu Gods. It is a must visit when in Nepal as it is about a 20 km distance from Kathmandu and 20 km from Sauraha. The area has many natural features like tropical forests, birds and wild animals.
- The largest wildlife reserve is the Parsa National Park. It is a protected area in south-central Nepal.
- Among the other things to do in Sauhara is the visit to the Elephant Breeding Center. Located at a distance of around 3 km from Sauraha, this breeding centre is situated on the Bhude Rapti River. It offers the magnificent sight of many elephants and the calves to an opportunity to enjoy elephant safaris at Chitwan. Elephant gazing and their mahouts alongside is a pleasant sight to observe. You can walk or cycle around along the Jungle pass road.
How to Reach Sauraha
Sauraha has good air connectivity through Bharatpur airport. One can fly directly from Pokhara and Kathmandu to reach Sauraha. The airport is at a distance of 15 km from the town. The tourists to Sauraha need to interchange bus, taxi, jeep to connect to Sauraha.
From Kathmandu, there are on-board buses to reach Sauraha. The cheaper Birganj bound buses will help you reach up to
Tadi Bazar and then, you need to take a local bus, pony cart, rickshaw or jeep.
The fastest route to Sauraha is the short 25-minute flight from Kathmandu to Bharatpur airport. The distance between Lumbini (the birthplace of Lord Gautam Buddha and a World Heritage Site) to Sauraha is 155km, and from Pokhara to Sauraha, the distance is about 145km. Sauraha- Kathmandu via Pokhara is a scenic drive of five-hours.
Travelling in Sauraha
Sauraha village can be best explored on foot. It is a small town and to hop on to the next village; tourists can use bicycles or enjoy the pleasant ride of a buffalo cart. There are taxis, tricycles and tour operated vehicles available too. Mopeds can also be rented.
Best Time to Visit
Sauraha is situated on the Nepal plains, and thus, the climate is mostly warmer than the rest of the country. November to February is the winter season. During the winter time, the mornings and the nights are cold with an average temperature of around 10 degrees. However, the weather is clear and pleasant during the day.
March to June is hot and humid especially during the day hours, thus, making it difficult to indulge in outdoor activities.
July to September is monsoon season, and the jungle and roads are full of mud and leaches. So, one needs to be wary of the treacherous route.
October to November has clear skies overboard. Because of the warm months, the autumn period makes the peak tourist season of Sauraha. This is the time when many people together undertake the trails in the Everest, and the Nepal accommodation is overall busy and expensive.
March to April is also the best time to visit Sauraha. Spring is the bloom time in the jungle. The monsoon season is the low season. However, under the heavy rains, Sauraha looks mesmerizing. Jungle safaris can be initiated in confidence, and the accommodation is also cheap at this time.
What to Pack?
- Rain gears like raincoat, umbrella, etc. are important.
- Make sure you carry your sun gear including sunglasses, sunscreen, etc., any time of the year
- Water bottle
- Day backpack
- Hand sanitizer
- First aid supplies and medicine
- Insect repellent
- Always carry a passport copy and Nepal Visa copy with you in a small bag
There are several river-side restaurants in Sauraha which offer local Nepal Terai delicacies served by the local community (Tharu) prepare the delicious traditional food palate. Great hospitality is a bonus. Some dishes one must try are:
- Ghonghi is a delicacy made of snail, and a preparation relished hugely by the Tharu community. The snail is served with the ground linseed soup. The snail needs to be pulled out of the shell
- Taas is a spicy goat-meat fried dish with Bhujia or Cheura add-ons
- Nepali Thali which consists of roasted soya bean), potato fried, soup, are served as starters with the thali. Then, there is rice, lentils, chicken gravy, wild boar roasted, saag, vegetables and pickle on the served plate. The desert includes sikarni- thick yoghurt loaded with dry nuts and cinnamon powder
- Tandoori Chicken is chicken marinated in yoghurt and local spice and roasted to serve you deliciously
Indian Restaurants in Sauraha
- Kc's Restaurant and Bar
Location:Chitwan National Park, Sauraha 32909, Nepal
Contact: +977 985-5066352
- Jalapeno Restaurant
- Accoustica Shisha
Location:Sauraha-2 | National Park, Sauraha 00977, Nepal
Contact: +977 985-5046238
Shopping List Essentials
The main bazaar area has many gift speciality shops. You can buy Tharu wares like dhokiya-woven colourful baskets made at home using rice straw.
Pasa Store in Chitwan National Park offers you unique products to shop for. You can also spend on home maintenance products like paints, electric items, and glue. Moreover, there are also cooking spices, chocolate and cookies to shop at very affordable prices.
Some of the best healthcare centres to contact during an emergency include:
- Chitwan Hospital Pvt. Ltd
- Bakulahar Ratnanagar Hospital
- Om Sairam Hospital
Tourists can buy a to get the best services during an emergency. In case of an accident or ailment, tourists need to inform the insurer who would suggest some good nearby hospitals where they can seek treatment.
The local currency is called Nepalese Rupees and is available in the denomination of five, 10, 100, 500 and 1,000 rupees. Smaller units are called paisa and are found in both coin and banknote form. It is managed by the central bank, the Nepal Rastra Bank. The paisa is available in the denominations of one, two and five paise.
It is recommended not to buy the local currency from the airport as the service charges can be high. Lower rates are offered in the city. Private bank rate is much more generous. There are ATMs to withdraw cash instantly.
Basics of Local Communication
Nepali is the most spoken language in Nepal. In places close to Kathmandu, the traditional language was Newari even though Nepali has replaced most of it. Newari is spoken only by few or at home. Hindi is also spoken by the locals, while English is slowly gaining popularity. Here are some simple phrases to be familiar with:
||Śubha - prabhāta
|My Name is
||Mērō nāma... Hō
|How much is this
||Yō Kati cha?
Why Choose ICICI Lombard General Insurance (Bharti AXA General Insurance*) Travel Insurance?
Travelling overseas is always fun. It’s more fun when you know your trip is financially secure. That’s why our Travel Insurance is an ideal companion for all journeys’ of your life.
PRESENCE ACROSS MANY COUNTRIES
COVERS ALL TRAVELS RELATED DISASTERS
FLEXIBLE PLANS FOR YOUR NEEDS
24/7 ASSISTANCE WORLDWIDE
We've raised the bar in being your Car's ideal insurance companion
ICICI Lombard General Insurance (Bharti AXA General Insurance*) Advantages
Pan India Branch network Quick and easy claim settlement
Extensive Cashless Garage Network
Instant and simple policy issuance
24/7 Claim Assistance
ICICI Lombard General Insurance (Bharti AXA General Insurance*) provides a comprehensive cover for your car,so you can drive hassle-free.
Two Wheeler Insurance
Ride worry-free, with ICICI Lombard General Insurance (Bharti AXA General Insurance*) two wheeler insurance plan.
Safeguard the health of your loved ones with a wide range of ICICI Lombard General Insurance (Bharti AXA General Insurance*) health insurance plans.
Other Health Insurance
Safeguard the health of your loved ones with a wide range of ICICI Lombard General Insurance (Bharti AXA General Insurance*) health insurance plans
Secure your joyous family trips with ICICI Lombard General Insurance (Bharti AXA General Insurance*) international travel insurance cover.
SME Package Insurance
SME Package Insurance
Commercial Lines Insurance
Commercial Lines Insurance
Commercial Vehicles Insurance
Commercial Vehicles Insurance
Motor Third Party Insurance - Commercial
Motor Third Party Insurance - Commercial
Renew your ICICI Lombard General Insurance (Bharti AXA General Insurance*) car insurance to enjoy your non-stop drive.
Two Wheeler Insurance
Renew your ICICI Lombard General Insurance (Bharti AXA General Insurance*) Two Wheeler Insurance to continue your worry-free rides.
Renew your ICICI Lombard General Insurance (Bharti AXA General Insurance*) Health Insurance and continue to safeguard the health of your loved ones.
Health and Wellness
Health and Wellness
Become A Partner
Become A Partner
What kinds of medical coverage’s are provided??
The following medical expenses are covered:
- Travel insurance includes medical expenses, repatriation, and emergency medical evacuation. Even dental care expenses such as acute anesthetic treatment of teeth are covered.
What is a deductible?
“Deductible”means a cost-sharing requirement under this policy, that provides that the insurer will not be liable for a specified rupee amount or percentage of claim amount or number of days or number of hours, as specified in the policy schedule and which will apply before any benefits are payable by the insurer. A deductible does not reduce the sum insured and is applicable per event, upto the specified limits mentioned.
What Is Not Covered Under the Travel Insurance Plan?
- Medical Expenses (inclusive of Repatriation and Emergency Medical Evacuation), Daily Allowance in case of hospitalization, Compassionate Visit benefits, the following will not be payable for Any pre-existing condition, Routine examinations, Expenses for rest or recuperation at spa/ health resort/ sanatorium, Pregnancy (including childbirth, miscarriage, abortion or related complications ) or treatment relating to the removal of physical flaws or anomalies (cosmetic treatment or plastic surgery).
- Cosmetic surgery, unless such cosmetic surgery is rendered medically necessary as part of treatment for accidents and burns whilst being abroad.
- Suicide, attempted or wilfully self inflicted injury or illness, mental disorder, anxiety, stress or depression, venereal disease, alcoholism, drunkenness or the abuse of drugs, or any loss arising, directly or indirectly, from any injury, illness, death, loss, expense, or other liability attributable to HIV and/or any HIV related illness including AIDS and/or any mutant derivative or variation thereof however caused.
- Treatment which could be reasonably delayed until the Insured’s return to India, which will be decided jointly by the treating Physician and the Emergency Assistance Service Provider and shall be in accordance with accepted standards of medical care.
- The Insured taking part in naval, military or air force operations; war and nuclear perils.
- Insured engaging in air travel unless he or she flies as a Fare Paying passenger in an aircraft licensed to carry passengers.
- Participation of the Insured in winter sports, mountaineering and such other professional sports or any other hazardous or potentially dangerous sport for which the Insured members are adequately trained, physically fit and using proper equipment. and that too only if specifically agreed and mentioned in the policy schedule.
- Hazardous occupation, or if engaged in any criminal or illegal act.
- Medical Expenses in respect of Experimental, investigational or unproven treatments or treatments which are not consistent with or incidental to the diagnosis and treatment of the positive existence or presence of any Illness for which confinement is required at a Hospital. Any Illness or treatment which is a result or a consequence of undergoing such experimental or unproven treatment.
- Naturopathy treatment.
- Non Allopathic treatment e.g. - Ayurvedic, Yogic, Homeopathic, Unani treatment(s).
- Under no circumstances shall this insurance contract be deemed to provide cover and no liability be incurred to pay any claim or provide any benefit hereunder to the extent that the provision of such cover, payment of such claim or provision of such benefit would expose us to any sanction, prohibition, or restriction under United Nations resolutions or the trade or economic sanctions, laws or regulations of the European Union, United Kingdom, United States of America & India
You can avail the Travel Insurance online and enjoy the benefits offered by ICICI Lombard General Insurance (Bharti AXA General Insurance*)
What Is Covered Under Travel Insurance?
Loss of passport and documents:
Reimbursement of actual expenses incurred in connection with obtaining a duplicate or fresh passport or reasonable cost of replacing/obtaining the stolen documents/ tickets if the passport belonging to the Insured / Insured Person be lost
Home Fire Insurance Contents & Home Burglary Insurance (contents):
Cover against any loss or damage of the Contents at Home of the Insured in India caused by Fire and Allied perils or through burglary and/or housebreaking while the Insured is on a trip abroad.
Hijack Distress Allowance
Payment of distress allowance in case of hijack of a common carrier for more than certain number of hours whilst on the trip. You can easily avail the allowance by filing a claim online through Travel Insurance cover online process.
Medical Expensesinclusive of Repartration and Emergency Medical Evacuation
If you are sick or injured during the journey, your medical expenses can prove to be costly. In such cases, Travel Insurance cover greatly helps. The insurance company also offers a cashless settlement with the network hospitals or you can also opt for the reimbursement process within 30 days of hospitalization.
Payment of legal costs and expenses incurred by the Insured towards claims from third Parties for compensation in respect of death or disablement arising due to an injury whilst on a trip abroad.
Payment of compensation if the Insured sustains accidental bodily injury during a trip resulting in death or Permanent Total Disablement or Permanent Partial Disablement within 12 months of occurrence of such injury.
Trip Cancellation/Or Interruption
Payment towards the non-refundable prepaid payments incurred on the trip being cancelled and additional cost of transportation in case of Interruption: due to medical problems, personal employment problems or natural disasters or other listed reason in policy wordings.
Reimbursement of additional expenses if trip is delayed beyond a period, due to airline problems, medical problems, personal employment problems or natural disasters.
Daily Allowance in case of Hospitalisation
Payment of daily allowance for the days the Insured is hospitalised beyond a specified number of days, as mentioned in the Policy Schedule, for which a valid claim is admissible under the Policy whilst on a trip abroad.Emergency Accommodation
Payment of compensation for the additional cost of emergency accommodation if the Insured/ Insured Person could not stay in the accommodation originally booked due to fire& flood, earthquake, storm, hurricane, explosion, outbreak of major infectious diseases.
Why do I need Travel insurance?
During a trip there are chances of unfortunate events such as loss of checked in baggage, medical emergency, loss of passport that can spoil your international trip, be it business or leisure. Travel insurance can protect you from such events ensuring that you are left stuck in foreign land.