Travel Guide to Riyadh
Indian Embassy in Riyadh
B-1, Diplomatic Quarter
P.O.Box No. 94387
Riyadh- 11693, Saudi Arabia
Visa Process for Indian Visitors in Riyadh
- Original Passport (valid for a minimum period of six months at the time of submission of visa application)
- Copy of Passport
- Two recent Passport size photographs
- Duly completed Online Application Form
- Proof of confirmation of hotel accommodation
- Airlines tickets
- A letter from Employers or Sponsors or a Bank Statement of the applicant (last one month). In case of minors, document(s) from either parent may be submitted
Riyadh is Saudi Arabia’s capital and a major business and financial hub. It is located on a desert plateau in the centre of Saudi Arabia and is largely famed as a business destination.
Riyadh is derived from the Arabic word ‘rawdah’ meaning gardens or meadows. The location, in fact, boasts of natural fertility. It naturally has a dry climate. However, a good underground water supply fills much of the gap, making Riyadh the most populated Saudi city and a naturally fertile area in the Saudi Kingdom.
It is a spectacular visit for many other reasons too. The city’s great transformation from a sleeping and nomadic society into a contemporary and plush urban setting display is an example of achievements and success. The view of Riyadh from the sky, the city illumination during the nights or the meadows, the desert, the flower garden make it an attractive tourist playground. The typical tourist life in Riyadh is centred around its over 4000 mosques and the bustling shopping centres called souks (marketplaces).
Places to Visit in Riyadh
There are popular business places to visit in Riyadh, and one such prominent destination is the 302-metre tall Kingdom Centre. This centre has a sky bridge connecting two towers. There is a 267m glass globe summit style- Al Faisaliah Centre, with a glass-globe summit, making it a key Riyadh points of interest.
- Masmak Fortress is the heart of old Riyadh and holds a historical significance. There is a museum inside which gives an insight into the battle story and includes some photos from the past. The second portion of the Masmak is now dedicated to Saudi’s excellence in agriculture to education. Adjacent to the fortress is "Jabrah" or "Mikal".
- The next on the list of famous places in Riyadh is Murabba Palace. It is situated next to the National Museum. It is one of the oldest mud-brick palaces which was built by King Abdul Aziz post his capturing of the Masmak. It is an open sight visit for the public, and there are interesting things to explore here like the first Rolls Royce, or the complete two-storey structure itself, making it one of the prime things to do in Riyadh.
- The National Museum is a must visit in Riyadh. First opened in 1999, this place is fully-equipped with all modern technology and is very accessible too. People here speak English. There is a whole lot of action waiting inside for you, such as the virtual tours of Madain Salih, or watching the recreated shoot of Prophet Mohammed's battle of Medina.
- As-Sufaat (Deira Square) is one of the best places to visit in Riyadh. It is a location close to the Great Mosque and the mutawwa headquarters and is popularly called the Chop-Chop Square. It is the place where convicts are punished by beheading with the sword.
- Kingdom Centre is the most stunning of all given its expansive architectural settings. It is the second tallest structure in Saudi at the height of 305 m. There is a three-storey shopping mall, and then, there is a sky bridge connecting the two peaks. The city panorama from the sky bridge can be enjoyed at the height of 300 m.
- A very famous spot of Riyadh is the Wadi. It is an 80-km dessert stretch and is primarily occupied by private estates and farms covered with high walls. An 80-km stretch running through western Riyadh is now essentially an 80-km desert park, though many parts of the Wadi floor are occupied by private estates and farms with high walls. Towards the south, there are picnic and barbecue spots surrounded by the Wadi’s cliff-like walls.
- On the outskirts of Riyadh is Wadi Hanifa. It is the ancestral home of the Royal Saudi family, occupied till 1818.
How to Reach Riyadh
King Khaled Airport welcomes flights from all over the world. If you are travelling from India, you can get a connecting or direct flight from major cities like Delhi and reach Riyadh. There is a local train station almost in the middle of Riyadh which connects the city to Dammam.
There is a Central Bus Terminal in the Aziziyah district which can be only accessed by a taxi. There are buses plying on the Riyadh-Dammam route, and it takes about 4.5 hours to reach Dammam from Riyadh. A bus journey to Jeddah from Riyadh or Mecca to Riyadh is tediously long; it will take you about 10-12 hour to reach Riyadh or vice-versa.
The same journey by road is taken through the Highway 40. The highways are usually jammed here because of heavy lorries and petrol tankers plying on the road.
Travelling in Riyadh
Cars are the best means to tour in Riyadh since it has underdeveloped public transport. You need to know the landmark locations to reach anywhere in the city. Street signs are marked in Arabic and English both. However, there are few important exceptions with streets showing signs in Arabic only.
Always carry your passport while touring in the city. There are many city-check points, and one needs to show a valid ID proof instantly.
There are white taxis operating in Riyadh. The driver usually knows the important places. There are minibuses but are usually used by the local labourers. It is ideal to drive your own car here.
Best Time to Visit
Riyadh is located in the centre of the Saudi nation and thus, subject to extreme climates. Summers are scorching with temperatures exceeding 45°C, and the winters are harsh with temperatures plummeting to 0°C. The rest of the time, the climate is dry.
Even though summers are hot, it is not humid. In the evenings, it gets more tolerable, and one can experience cool breeze on the outskirts of Riyadh during the summer time.
The best time to visit Riyadh is from October to March.
There is an Italian Cuisine Week which takes place in November. There is Comic-Con Arabia; an event initiated to highlight the multi-genre pop culture of the town. There is a trade event related to the health and beauty sector in Saudi Arabia held in November every year.
What to Pack?
- Carry a variety of clothing. Include comfortable, loose-fit and cotton fabrics preferably covered on the shoulders and mostly knee-length fabric dressing
- For an evening out, carry fine dresses with a pair of fine jewellery, bags and shoes
- Always carry a comfortable pair of shoes to spend time walking in the city
- Pack the sunscreen, sun moisturizer, etc
- Men attire must include loose, comfort fit, cotton shirts, trousers or knee-length shorts
Some of the best dishes to try in Riyadh include:
- Shawarma is sliced roasted meat stuffed into warm pitta bread with salad garnish
- Muhallabia is a creamy milk and rice pudding soaked in rosewater
- Fish Sayadieh is a rice dish spiced-up and decorated with caramelised onions and pan seared fish
- Ma'amoul are local biscuits filled with nuts and dates
- Fattoush is a salad using crisp pitta bread, filled with fresh vegetables and tossed in sour sumac
- Luqaimat is sweet dumplings soaked in syrup and decorated with crunchy pistachios on the top
- Camel Kabsa is a tender dish with heaps of rice and loads of sweet peppers and juicy dates on the side
Indian Restaurants in Riyadh
- Mashal Restaurant
Location:9000 Al Amirah Sarah Bint Ahmad As Sadiri, Ad Dhubbat, Riyadh 12623, Saudi Arabia
Contact: +966 11 473 4203
- Zaika Restaurant
Location:7235 Al Ulaya, Al Olaya, 2392, Riyadh 12244, Saudi Arabia
Contact: +966 11 461 6066
- Anardana Indian Restaurant
Location:Mövenpick Riyadh Hotel (opposite Ministry of Interior), King Fahad Road, An Namuthajiyah, Riyadh
Contact: +966 11 457 99996
Shopping List Essentials
- The Antique Souq offers everything under one roof. There is always a choice to be made, given the expansive display of cheap Arabic good to the expensive carpets, jewellery, daggers or coffee pots
- Al Faisaliah, Olaya Rd is a swanky mall and must be visited for high-end shopping tours
- Al Mamlaka, Olaya Rd is another plush mall in the Kingdom and has one floor dedicated to women shopping at leisure
- Jarir Bookstore (Makatba Jarir) is the largest bookshop and has books and magazines to cater to a wide audience
- Localizer Mall, Tahlia St is a place to be for garments
Some of the best healthcare centres to contact during an emergency include:
- King Saud Medical Complex
- Prince Mohammed Bin Abdulaziz Hospital
- Saudi German Hospital
- Riyadh Care Hospital
- Saudi British Hospital
Tourists can buy a travel insurance policy to get the best services during an emergency. In case of an accident or ailment, tourists need to inform the insurer who would suggest some good nearby hospitals where they can seek treatment. The insurer will take care of the medical expenses.
Saudi Riyal is the local currency here. Coins available in the denomination of 5, 10, 25 and 50 halala and SR1 notes in the denomination of SR1, 5, 10, 50, 100 and 500 is used. Cash is the preferred means of transactions here. Therefore, you need to buy SR beforehand or visit the Riyadh Banks or the Foreign Exchange Bureaus, once you reach Riyadh. Currency exchange happens at the hotel, airports and in some designated centres across the city. Search for signs which read- Bureau De Change, Geld Wechseln or Cambio.
Basics of Local Communication
Arabic is the local language and the most preferred too. The level of English spoken varies. Indian and Pakistani chauffeurs, for example, will speak English, while others may not. It is important to note the street addresses on a piece of paper before you step out of the hotel to the next tourist destination. When you hire a taxi, make sure the male members sit in the front, and the women use the back seat of the car. Also, it is a good idea to greet people in the local language, especially with the Saudis, who are courteous and very hospitable.
|My Name is
|How much is this
||Kam Thaman Hdha
Why Choose ICICI Lombard General Insurance (Bharti AXA General Insurance*) Travel Insurance?
Travelling overseas is always fun. It’s more fun when you know your trip is financially secure. That’s why our Travel Insurance is an ideal companion for all journeys’ of your life.
We've raised the bar in being your Car's ideal insurance companion
ICICI Lombard General Insurance (Bharti AXA General Insurance*) Advantages
Pan India Branch network Quick and easy claim settlement
Extensive Cashless Garage Network
Instant and simple policy issuance
24/7 Claim Assistance
PRESENCE ACROSS MANY COUNTRIES
COVERS ALL TRAVELS RELATED DISASTERS
FLEXIBLE PLANS FOR YOUR NEEDS
24/7 ASSISTANCE WORLDWIDE
What kinds of medical coverage’s are provided??
The following medical expenses are covered:
- Travel insurance includes medical expenses, repatriation, and emergency medical evacuation. Even dental care expenses such as acute anesthetic treatment of teeth are covered.
What is a deductible?
“Deductible”means a cost-sharing requirement under this policy, that provides that the insurer will not be liable for a specified rupee amount or percentage of claim amount or number of days or number of hours, as specified in the policy schedule and which will apply before any benefits are payable by the insurer. A deductible does not reduce the sum insured and is applicable per event, upto the specified limits mentioned.
What Is Not Covered Under the Travel Insurance Plan?
- Medical Expenses (inclusive of Repatriation and Emergency Medical Evacuation), Daily Allowance in case of hospitalization, Compassionate Visit benefits, the following will not be payable for Any pre-existing condition, Routine examinations, Expenses for rest or recuperation at spa/ health resort/ sanatorium, Pregnancy (including childbirth, miscarriage, abortion or related complications ) or treatment relating to the removal of physical flaws or anomalies (cosmetic treatment or plastic surgery).
- Cosmetic surgery, unless such cosmetic surgery is rendered medically necessary as part of treatment for accidents and burns whilst being abroad.
- Suicide, attempted or wilfully self inflicted injury or illness, mental disorder, anxiety, stress or depression, venereal disease, alcoholism, drunkenness or the abuse of drugs, or any loss arising, directly or indirectly, from any injury, illness, death, loss, expense, or other liability attributable to HIV and/or any HIV related illness including AIDS and/or any mutant derivative or variation thereof however caused.
- Treatment which could be reasonably delayed until the Insured’s return to India, which will be decided jointly by the treating Physician and the Emergency Assistance Service Provider and shall be in accordance with accepted standards of medical care.
- The Insured taking part in naval, military or air force operations; war and nuclear perils.
- Insured engaging in air travel unless he or she flies as a Fare Paying passenger in an aircraft licensed to carry passengers.
- Participation of the Insured in winter sports, mountaineering and such other professional sports or any other hazardous or potentially dangerous sport for which the Insured members are adequately trained, physically fit and using proper equipment. and that too only if specifically agreed and mentioned in the policy schedule.
- Hazardous occupation, or if engaged in any criminal or illegal act.
- Medical Expenses in respect of Experimental, investigational or unproven treatments or treatments which are not consistent with or incidental to the diagnosis and treatment of the positive existence or presence of any Illness for which confinement is required at a Hospital. Any Illness or treatment which is a result or a consequence of undergoing such experimental or unproven treatment.
- Naturopathy treatment.
- Non Allopathic treatment e.g. - Ayurvedic, Yogic, Homeopathic, Unani treatment(s).
- Under no circumstances shall this insurance contract be deemed to provide cover and no liability be incurred to pay any claim or provide any benefit hereunder to the extent that the provision of such cover, payment of such claim or provision of such benefit would expose us to any sanction, prohibition, or restriction under United Nations resolutions or the trade or economic sanctions, laws or regulations of the European Union, United Kingdom, United States of America & India
You can avail the Travel Insurance online and enjoy the benefits offered by ICICI Lombard General Insurance (Bharti AXA General Insurance*)
What Is Covered Under Travel Insurance?
Loss of passport and documents:
Reimbursement of actual expenses incurred in connection with obtaining a duplicate or fresh passport or reasonable cost of replacing/obtaining the stolen documents/ tickets if the passport belonging to the Insured / Insured Person be lost
Home Fire Insurance Contents & Home Burglary Insurance (contents):
Cover against any loss or damage of the Contents at Home of the Insured in India caused by Fire and Allied perils or through burglary and/or housebreaking while the Insured is on a trip abroad.
Hijack Distress Allowance
Payment of distress allowance in case of hijack of a common carrier for more than certain number of hours whilst on the trip. You can easily avail the allowance by filing a claim online through Travel Insurance cover online process.
Medical Expensesinclusive of Repartration and Emergency Medical Evacuation
If you are sick or injured during the journey, your medical expenses can prove to be costly. In such cases, Travel Insurance cover greatly helps. The insurance company also offers a cashless settlement with the network hospitals or you can also opt for the reimbursement process within 30 days of hospitalization.
Payment of legal costs and expenses incurred by the Insured towards claims from third Parties for compensation in respect of death or disablement arising due to an injury whilst on a trip abroad.
Payment of compensation if the Insured sustains accidental bodily injury during a trip resulting in death or Permanent Total Disablement or Permanent Partial Disablement within 12 months of occurrence of such injury.
Trip Cancellation/Or Interruption
Payment towards the non-refundable prepaid payments incurred on the trip being cancelled and additional cost of transportation in case of Interruption: due to medical problems, personal employment problems or natural disasters or other listed reason in policy wordings.
Reimbursement of additional expenses if trip is delayed beyond a period, due to airline problems, medical problems, personal employment problems or natural disasters.
Daily Allowance in case of Hospitalisation
Payment of daily allowance for the days the Insured is hospitalised beyond a specified number of days, as mentioned in the Policy Schedule, for which a valid claim is admissible under the Policy whilst on a trip abroad.Emergency Accommodation
Payment of compensation for the additional cost of emergency accommodation if the Insured/ Insured Person could not stay in the accommodation originally booked due to fire& flood, earthquake, storm, hurricane, explosion, outbreak of major infectious diseases.
Why do I need Travel insurance?
During a trip there are chances of unfortunate events such as loss of checked in baggage, medical emergency, loss of passport that can spoil your international trip, be it business or leisure. Travel insurance can protect you from such events ensuring that you are left stuck in foreign land.
ICICI Lombard General Insurance (Bharti AXA General Insurance*) provides a comprehensive cover for your car,so you can drive hassle-free.
Two Wheeler Insurance
Ride worry-free, with ICICI Lombard General Insurance (Bharti AXA General Insurance*) two wheeler insurance plan.
Safeguard the health of your loved ones with a wide range of ICICI Lombard General Insurance (Bharti AXA General Insurance*) health insurance plans.
Other Health Insurance
Safeguard the health of your loved ones with a wide range of ICICI Lombard General Insurance (Bharti AXA General Insurance*) health insurance plans
Secure your joyous family trips with ICICI Lombard General Insurance (Bharti AXA General Insurance*) international travel insurance cover.
SME Package Insurance
SME Package Insurance
Commercial Lines Insurance
Commercial Lines Insurance
Commercial Vehicles Insurance
Commercial Vehicles Insurance
Motor Third Party Insurance - Commercial
Motor Third Party Insurance - Commercial
Renew your ICICI Lombard General Insurance (Bharti AXA General Insurance*) car insurance to enjoy your non-stop drive.
Two Wheeler Insurance
Renew your ICICI Lombard General Insurance (Bharti AXA General Insurance*) Two Wheeler Insurance to continue your worry-free rides.
Renew your ICICI Lombard General Insurance (Bharti AXA General Insurance*) Health Insurance and continue to safeguard the health of your loved ones.
Health and Wellness
Health and Wellness
Become A Partner
Become A Partner