Travel Guide to Patong
Indian Embassy in Patong
Embassy of India,
Ocean Tower 2, 75/120-121,
42nd Floor, Soi Sukhumvit 19,
Visa Process for Indian Visitors in Patong
- Original passport valid for a minimum period of 6 months after the expiry date of the visa and 1 old passport if any
- Copy of the first and last page of the passport. Also, the passport should have 2 blank pages
- Visa application form
- 2 recent passport sized photographs not older than six months
- Hotel reservation with showing the name of the passenger
- Occupation proof
- Confirmed return air tickets
- Original last 3 months saving bank statement
- Bank Statements of last 6 months with the current balance of at least Rs. 4,00,000/- for multiple entry visas
Patong is an Asian town adorned with beaches, resorts and a life full of action. The town is located on the Phuket island, stretching along the west coast and fronting the Andaman Sea in the southwest of Thailand. The beach town springs into life during the daytime with tourists flocking the destination all-year round.
Throughout the day, people flock the sandy beaches, the cafes, bars and other restaurants, among other prime Patong points of interest. The beach town is also famous for its nightlife since the destination houses famous beer bars, nightclubs, street cabarets and massage parlours, which are some of the best things to do in Patong. Most of them are located on the Bangla Road and the OTOP shopping complex.
Places to Visit in Patong
Below are some of the best tourist places in Patong:
- Bangla Road:It is one of the famous places in Patong and is popularly addressed as ‘lively’ party zone. It has the most happening nightlife and is full of options for entertainment with best drinks and music. Tourists can cherish the experience by taking a walk around the overflowing beer bars while listening to live music and enjoying the street performances. Bangla Road is a place that suits people with different tastes, thus, considered as one of the best places to visit in Patong.
- Freedom Beach :This 300m-long stretch of white sand is a pleasant place for a leisurely walk. The beach has nature in abundance where tourists can take solace in the sound of the water, the granite rocks and the hills under the thick jungle. The activities to do here include sunbathing, beach soccer and volleyball and snorkelling.
- Paradise Beach: As the name suggests, this beach is mesmerisingly beautiful making you fall in love with it even at first sight. The length of the entire beach is 150 metres long and right next to the Paradise Beach, through the rocks, is a small beach which is like a hidden abode of nature. You can also go on small treks and enjoy the special experience.
- Surf House Patong Beach: People come here to learn surfing in a safe and controlled environment. Named among the best tourist places to visit in Patong, Surf House also offers a lively on-site bar where you can have tantalizing cocktails and soft drinks. Here, people can surf even if they have no experience of it.
- Flying Hanuman:Flying Hanuman is a thrilling place for adventure enthusiasts. It is a well-executed aerial tour where tourists can enjoy the splendid beauty of Phuket’s rainforest. The activity has 28 different platforms spread across 80,000 square meters of lush jungle forest. If you are going with family, this is one of the best things to do in Patong.
- Patong Boxing Stadium:To witness the live action of Muay Thai, a combat sport of Thailand, one may visit Patong Boxing Stadium. Located in the heart of Patong Beach, this stadium is known for its extreme fights. Not only this but tourists can also learn Muay Thai and make their trip a memorable one.
- Patong Go-Kart Speedway:Located at the foot of Patong Hill’s Kathu side, this is an adventurous place one must visit in Patong. Here one can indulge in activities like buggy racing. People can also participate in a Mini Grand Prix that is organised within the premises.
- Kathu Waterfall:A worth-visiting place in Patong, Kathu waterfall gives refreshing vibes and joyful tranquillity to the tourists. The place is great for a nice family picnic where kids can even take a cool dip in the pristine pool just below the waterfall.
How to Reach Patong
Patong is close to the Phuket International Airport at a distance of about 35 km. There is Limousine available for rent from the airport, though these taxis can cost you around 800 baht for a short ride too. There are shared minibuses available from the airport. If you are familiar with the route, board a local bus and reach Patong by road. There are regular buses connecting Phuket to Patong every half an hour. The route is through the Pattaya beach via Bangla Road and then heading straight to the hills.
The bus signs are in English and Thai both. There is also an Airbus available at Airport Bus Terminal to reach Patong.
People who arrive at Phuket airport early morning have an option to hire a taxi. It will take about 40-45 minutes to reach Patong. If you wish to self-drive, you can hire a car which is cheaper than renting a chauffeur driven car.
Then, there is an additional travel option called Phuket Travel Box Transfers, a drive with a local driver who is well-versed in English. The vehicle uses a minivan Toyota Commuter.
Travelling in Patong
Patong is an enormous walking destination with scenic pleasures and clean roads to walk. However, there are multiple-vehicle options available like taxis and motorbikes to go around in Patong. They are mostly unregulated; therefore, it can cost you high.
There are two types of taxi: songthaew-style minivans and sedan style taxis. There are motorbikes available for rent or taxi use too. TukTuks are in plenty.
Best Time to Visit Patong
Patong has a tropical climate and is, therefore, a year-round destination. Still, the best time to enjoy the Patong beach is the winter season, which begins in November and stays up to March. During this time, the Patong climate is cool and comfortable, with the average temperature hovering between 24°C to 32°C. The two hottest months are April and May, so you can avoid travelling during these months
What to Pack?
- Always carry a camera to the beauty and memories you make in Patong
- Thailand is never minus shopping, so carry extra luggage or under-pack to leave some space later
- A beach destination is normally hot and humid so carry a mosquito repellent with you
- Pack a lot of light wear like comfy t-shirts, tank tops and bathing suit
- If travelling in winters, carry soft woollens
- Make sure to pack your sunblocks like high SPF sunscreen, sun umbrella, etc
- Carry flip-flops or sandals to explore the beachside on foot
- Always carry a water bottle as tap water is not to be used here
Here are some of the top delicacies tourists must try in Patong:
- Tom Yum Goong is a famous Thai food prepared by using lemongrass, fresh Thai chillies, galangal and other ingredients
- Mee Hokkien Noodle is a stir-fried noodle dish decorated with prawns
- Massaman Curry has the sweet taste of coconut milk and the sourness of lime juice. Other ingredients like fresh lime
- leaves, peanuts paste, basil, and tomatoes add flavour
- Dim Sum is the signature Thai dish consisting of fluffy dim sums with shrimps, prawn, pork or green beans fillet
- Green Curry Chicken is a dish prepared using chicken and in proportion, two types of eggplants
Top Indian Restaurants in Patong
- Location: 114/3, Soi Patong Resort, Thaweewong Road | Patong Beach, Patong, Kathu, Phuket 83150, Thailand
- Contact: +66 89 649 3430
ICC Indian Curry Club
- Location: 169/9 Soi Sansabai | Rat -u-thit 200 Pee Road, Patong, Kathu, Phuket 83150, Thailand
- Contact: +66 85 120 0050
Indian Delight Restaurant
- Location: 222/7-8 Rat-u-Thit 200 Pi Road | Opposite Deevana Plaza Patong, Patong, Kathu, Phuket 83150, Thailand
- Contact: +66 76 626 900
Shopping List Essentials
- The Jungceylon Shopping Complex has two stores - Robinson and Big C Supermarket where you can buy anything from clothes, sunglasses and cosmetics perfumes to DVDs, hardware and many more
- Banzaan Market in Patong is a modern-looking local market which offers goods at affordable prices
- Malin Plaza in Patong is best for buying souvenirs, t-shirts, beachwear, spa products, bags, luggage and mobile phone accessories
- OTOP Plaza is for local shopping where you can buy traditional handicrafts, cotton and silk garments, accessories in fashion, household items and pottery
- SB Plaza is best if you want to shop for budget souvenirs in Patong
- Ocean Plaza Patong sells everything under the sun, and this includes guitar strings at low prices
- Paradise Night Market is for cheap and widely-available mobile phone covers, sun hats, cushion and bedcovers, lamps, and beachwear
Here is the list of healthcare centres you can contact during a health emergency:
- Patong Hospital
- Bangla Clinic
- Patong Inter Medical Clinic
- Mission Hospital Phuket
- The Tourist Clinic
Tourists can buy a travel insurance policy to ensure good medical facility at a foreign hospital without worrying about medical expenses.
Thai Baht is the local currency. Coins are available in the denominations of 1, 2, 5 and 10 baht, as well as 25 and 50 satangs. Banknotes are in the denominations of 20, 50, 100, 500 and 1,000 baht. 10 baht is the most common coin, and 100 baht is the common note in use.
There are many ATMs and currency exchange bureaus in tourist areas. In a way, you have access to cash throughout the day. Carry local currency beforehand, and you can use the Exchange Bureaux which are associated with banks. They too charge a three percent commission on international rates. So, switch to private exchange merchants who might offer lesser rates. Another option is to depend on your credit card.
Basics of Local Communication
Thai is the local language, and since Patong is a major tourist hub, you will find many people conversing in English with you. Thais are friendly people, and hence you will not have an issue travelling around the city. It is good to be familiar with the local language to reciprocate the welcoming gesture.
Good morning = S̄wạs̄dī txn chêā
My name is …= Chụ̄̀x k̄hxng c̄hạn khụ̄x
Where is...? = Xyū̀ h̄ịn
Yes = Chı̀
No = Mị̀
Please = Kruṇā
Sorry = K̄hxthos̄ʹ
How much is this? = Nī̀ rākhā thèā h̄ịr̀
Why Choose ICICI Lombard General Insurance (Bharti AXA General Insurance*) Travel Insurance?
Travelling overseas is always fun. It’s more fun when you know your trip is financially secure. That’s why our Travel Insurance is an ideal companion for all journeys’ of your life.
PRESENCE ACROSS MANY COUNTRIES
COVERS ALL TRAVELS RELATED DISASTERS
FLEXIBLE PLANS FOR YOUR NEEDS
24/7 ASSISTANCE WORLDWIDE
ICICI Lombard General Insurance (Bharti AXA General Insurance*) provides a comprehensive cover for your car,so you can drive hassle-free.
Two Wheeler Insurance
Ride worry-free, with ICICI Lombard General Insurance (Bharti AXA General Insurance*) two wheeler insurance plan.
Safeguard the health of your loved ones with a wide range of ICICI Lombard General Insurance (Bharti AXA General Insurance*) health insurance plans.
Other Health Insurance
Safeguard the health of your loved ones with a wide range of ICICI Lombard General Insurance (Bharti AXA General Insurance*) health insurance plans
Secure your joyous family trips with ICICI Lombard General Insurance (Bharti AXA General Insurance*) international travel insurance cover.
SME Package Insurance
SME Package Insurance
Commercial Lines Insurance
Commercial Lines Insurance
Commercial Vehicles Insurance
Commercial Vehicles Insurance
Motor Third Party Insurance - Commercial
Motor Third Party Insurance - Commercial
Renew your ICICI Lombard General Insurance (Bharti AXA General Insurance*) car insurance to enjoy your non-stop drive.
Two Wheeler Insurance
Renew your ICICI Lombard General Insurance (Bharti AXA General Insurance*) Two Wheeler Insurance to continue your worry-free rides.
Renew your ICICI Lombard General Insurance (Bharti AXA General Insurance*) Health Insurance and continue to safeguard the health of your loved ones.
Health and Wellness
Health and Wellness
Become A Partner
Become A Partner
We've raised the bar in being your Car's ideal insurance companion
ICICI Lombard General Insurance (Bharti AXA General Insurance*) Advantages
Pan India Branch network Quick and easy claim settlement
Extensive Cashless Garage Network
Instant and simple policy issuance
24/7 Claim Assistance
What kinds of medical coverage’s are provided??
The following medical expenses are covered:
- Travel insurance includes medical expenses, repatriation, and emergency medical evacuation. Even dental care expenses such as acute anesthetic treatment of teeth are covered.
What is a deductible?
“Deductible”means a cost-sharing requirement under this policy, that provides that the insurer will not be liable for a specified rupee amount or percentage of claim amount or number of days or number of hours, as specified in the policy schedule and which will apply before any benefits are payable by the insurer. A deductible does not reduce the sum insured and is applicable per event, upto the specified limits mentioned.
What Is Not Covered Under the Travel Insurance Plan?
- Medical Expenses (inclusive of Repatriation and Emergency Medical Evacuation), Daily Allowance in case of hospitalization, Compassionate Visit benefits, the following will not be payable for Any pre-existing condition, Routine examinations, Expenses for rest or recuperation at spa/ health resort/ sanatorium, Pregnancy (including childbirth, miscarriage, abortion or related complications ) or treatment relating to the removal of physical flaws or anomalies (cosmetic treatment or plastic surgery).
- Cosmetic surgery, unless such cosmetic surgery is rendered medically necessary as part of treatment for accidents and burns whilst being abroad.
- Suicide, attempted or wilfully self inflicted injury or illness, mental disorder, anxiety, stress or depression, venereal disease, alcoholism, drunkenness or the abuse of drugs, or any loss arising, directly or indirectly, from any injury, illness, death, loss, expense, or other liability attributable to HIV and/or any HIV related illness including AIDS and/or any mutant derivative or variation thereof however caused.
- Treatment which could be reasonably delayed until the Insured’s return to India, which will be decided jointly by the treating Physician and the Emergency Assistance Service Provider and shall be in accordance with accepted standards of medical care.
- The Insured taking part in naval, military or air force operations; war and nuclear perils.
- Insured engaging in air travel unless he or she flies as a Fare Paying passenger in an aircraft licensed to carry passengers.
- Participation of the Insured in winter sports, mountaineering and such other professional sports or any other hazardous or potentially dangerous sport for which the Insured members are adequately trained, physically fit and using proper equipment. and that too only if specifically agreed and mentioned in the policy schedule.
- Hazardous occupation, or if engaged in any criminal or illegal act.
- Medical Expenses in respect of Experimental, investigational or unproven treatments or treatments which are not consistent with or incidental to the diagnosis and treatment of the positive existence or presence of any Illness for which confinement is required at a Hospital. Any Illness or treatment which is a result or a consequence of undergoing such experimental or unproven treatment.
- Naturopathy treatment.
- Non Allopathic treatment e.g. - Ayurvedic, Yogic, Homeopathic, Unani treatment(s).
- Under no circumstances shall this insurance contract be deemed to provide cover and no liability be incurred to pay any claim or provide any benefit hereunder to the extent that the provision of such cover, payment of such claim or provision of such benefit would expose us to any sanction, prohibition, or restriction under United Nations resolutions or the trade or economic sanctions, laws or regulations of the European Union, United Kingdom, United States of America & India
You can avail the Travel Insurance online and enjoy the benefits offered by ICICI Lombard General Insurance (Bharti AXA General Insurance*)
What Is Covered Under Travel Insurance?
Loss of passport and documents:
Reimbursement of actual expenses incurred in connection with obtaining a duplicate or fresh passport or reasonable cost of replacing/obtaining the stolen documents/ tickets if the passport belonging to the Insured / Insured Person be lost
Home Fire Insurance Contents & Home Burglary Insurance (contents):
Cover against any loss or damage of the Contents at Home of the Insured in India caused by Fire and Allied perils or through burglary and/or housebreaking while the Insured is on a trip abroad.
Hijack Distress Allowance
Payment of distress allowance in case of hijack of a common carrier for more than certain number of hours whilst on the trip. You can easily avail the allowance by filing a claim online through Travel Insurance cover online process.
Medical Expensesinclusive of Repartration and Emergency Medical Evacuation
If you are sick or injured during the journey, your medical expenses can prove to be costly. In such cases, Travel Insurance cover greatly helps. The insurance company also offers a cashless settlement with the network hospitals or you can also opt for the reimbursement process within 30 days of hospitalization.
Payment of legal costs and expenses incurred by the Insured towards claims from third Parties for compensation in respect of death or disablement arising due to an injury whilst on a trip abroad.
Payment of compensation if the Insured sustains accidental bodily injury during a trip resulting in death or Permanent Total Disablement or Permanent Partial Disablement within 12 months of occurrence of such injury.
Trip Cancellation/Or Interruption
Payment towards the non-refundable prepaid payments incurred on the trip being cancelled and additional cost of transportation in case of Interruption: due to medical problems, personal employment problems or natural disasters or other listed reason in policy wordings.
Reimbursement of additional expenses if trip is delayed beyond a period, due to airline problems, medical problems, personal employment problems or natural disasters.
Daily Allowance in case of Hospitalisation
Payment of daily allowance for the days the Insured is hospitalised beyond a specified number of days, as mentioned in the Policy Schedule, for which a valid claim is admissible under the Policy whilst on a trip abroad.Emergency Accommodation
Payment of compensation for the additional cost of emergency accommodation if the Insured/ Insured Person could not stay in the accommodation originally booked due to fire& flood, earthquake, storm, hurricane, explosion, outbreak of major infectious diseases.
Why do I need Travel insurance?
During a trip there are chances of unfortunate events such as loss of checked in baggage, medical emergency, loss of passport that can spoil your international trip, be it business or leisure. Travel insurance can protect you from such events ensuring that you are left stuck in foreign land.