Travel Guide to Mirissa
Indian Embassy Near Mirissa
High Commission of India
Address: 36-38 Galle Road, Colombo-3
Contact Number: 2327587, 2421605
The following documents are required to get a visa to Sri Lanka:
- Original passport
- Copy of the first and the last page of the passport
- Confirmed air tickets
- Day-to-day itinerary
Time required: 1-2 working days
Disclaimer: These are the standard requirements needed to attain a Sri Lanka visa. The visa requirements may change according to factors like employment status, age, etc.
About the Mirissa
Mirissa is a small town located in the Matara District of the Southern Province of Sri Lanka. It’s 150 kilometres south of Colombo and is situated at an elevation of 4 meters above the sea level. Mirissa is the largest fishing port on the south coast. Mirissa's beach and nightlife make it a well-known tourist destination, and there are some beautiful tourist places in Mirissa. In 1980, the first tourist accommodation was built. However, it wasn't until the mid-nineties that tourism in the town started to increase dramatically. Mirissa was affected by the tsunami in 2004, as a result of which numerous homes, guesthouses, shops, schools and temples were destroyed or damaged.
Places to Visit in Mirissa
The small town is popular for its natural beaches which are mostly untouched by any man-made modernisation. It is loved and very sought after when it comes to holidays and vacations, even—honeymoons. There are some great things to do and excellent places to visit in Mirissa, such as:
- Unawatuna & Galle: Unawatuna & Galle are great places to wander around because there are a lot of things to do here. Galle Fort is one of the famous places in Mirissa. You can go shopping and explore the Old Dutch Fort. You can spend the whole day in this area without getting bored. Embark on a thrilling 6-hour whale watching cruise along Sri Lanka’s southwest coast. Depart from your hotel in Galle or Unawatuna early in the morning and strap on your life vest on a 50 foot (15 meters) vessel. You can relish a complimentary continental breakfast with morning tea onboard near the ocean. Other than that, you can spend some time gazing out on the water where you can spot blue whales, humpback whales, killer whales, and whale sharks. Perhaps you’ll also be able to see dolphins or sea turtles.
- Udawalawe National Park: Explore the wildlife at Udawalawe National Park with private insider safari jeep tour, and it is one of the great things to do in Mirissa. You can spot wildlife animals like elephants, fully grown crocodiles, water buffalos, chameleons, peacocks, kingfishers, hornbills, monkeys and many more wild animals during the safari. Tour guide will pick you up from where you are staying and drop you off at the same place in Mirissa after the safari. Safari jeeps are fitted with elevated seats and safety bars for your safety and have disability access ladders. Udawalawe safari jeep tour happens twice a day. Once in the morning at 06:00 AM and one in the evening which at 03:00 PM. The tour lasts for around 4 hours. In some cases, the safari timings can be adjusted as per the customer’s requirement.
- Matara: Matara has its own fort in a quiet corner of the town close to the main Bus Station. It is not as grand as the one in Galle, but it is still nice to spend a few hours walking around inside the fort.
- Mirissa Beach: Mirissa is a crescent-shaped beach, and when laying on the smooth sands you see the beach curving outwards on either side, giving the impression that you are laying on a far away, deserted palm-covered island. Crack open a coconut on the beachside, slip into a hammock and let the gentle breeze blow for hours around you. The gentle waves of the ocean crashing and building into a crescendo, coconuts falling and birds chirping will surely mesmerise you. Mirissa is a complete tourist heaven and must not be missed! Here is a list of things you can do at Mirissa Beach:
- Deep Sea Fishing: You can indulge in a private deep sea fishing tour in Mirissa. Cast your rods into deep blue waters and try your to catch the biggest fish of your life. Feel the bursting adrenaline rush as you challenge the strongest of the seas. You can then show off your best catch with a great photo
- Trolling: Fishing by trolling is done by moving boats and dragging one or more fishing lines or nets behind them. Trolling is highly successful, especially in the morning hours. If you choose one of the daytime sessions, you will be using trolling. The local fishing guide introduces you to some of the best spots indulge in fishing. Some of the species of fish that you will be able to catch are jack trevallies, spanish mackerel, skipjack tuna, yellow fin tuna, sail fish, marlins, and frigate tuna. You can exercise both your patience and strength as you wait for the bait to do its work, and feel the delicious struggle of reeling them in
- Whale watching: Whale watching in Mirissa is a favourite activity of tourists. The whale population around Mirissa consists if blue whales, fin whales, sperm whales, occasional orcas, and different types of dolphins. They are best seen between December and April when the seas are comparatively calmer
- Night Cruise: South Coast Cruise will offer you an opportunity to go on a one night cruise to the Southern coast. Sail the brand new catamaran around the southern coastline as you feast on the land and seascape. Enjoy the brilliant warm sunshine and sea breeze with delicious cocktails in hand. You can do snorkelling, fishing and a host of other fun water activities
- Surfing at Mirissa: Mirissa's Bay Surf point is famous for smooth surfing. You can surf with no inhibitions and enjoy a carefree ride through the ocean, experiencing it on a level that would be unforgettable for the many years to come
- The parrot rock: The parrot rock is a unique piece of land where you can climb up at low tide. It’s located at the end of Mirissa beach and is one of the Mirissa points of interest
How to Reach Mirissa
Take a bus heading to Matara or Tangalle from Fort in Colombo and ask to get out in Mirissa. Depending on when you go, a trip will take between 3.5 to 5 hours. Another option is that you take the train from Colombo Fort to Weligama, which is 7 km from Mirissa and then go by bus or tuk-tuk. The train Trips take between 2.5 and 3.5 hours. AC cabs are also available from Colombo.
Travelling in Mirissa
Mirissa is a small village town, and you can basically go everywhere by walking. You have the options of travelling in and around the town by cycle or motorbike also, which are available for rent everywhere. Tuk-tuk rides are popular, and you should definitely avail their service. It is suggested to hire a trusted Tuk-tuk driver and stick to that guy for the stay duration in Mirissa.
Best Time to Visit
Mirissa's climate is known to be tropical. Mirissa experiences a significant amount of rainfall during the year. This is true even for the driest month. The average annual temperature is 26.7 °C in Mirissa. In a year, the average rainfall is 2248 mm. The peak season for seeing whales in Mirissa and the south of Sri Lanka is between December and March, and it is also the suggested travel season.
What to Pack?
Pack your holiday capsule wardrobe with breathable cotton clothes. People will appreciate if you are dressed modestly. Do not forget to bring caps and sunscreen lotion to avoid getting sunburnt during the daytime. Also remember to carry mosquito repellants, sunglass and oral hydration packs.
Many different restaurants in Mirissa are located on the beach. The roti shops here are cheaper but offer a lot of tasty options. For budget travellers, food is notably expensive in Mirissa. You can get typical Sri Lankan foods in the beach restaurants. Don’t forget to try seafoods and local fishes. Mirissa’s lobsters, crabs, squid, cuttlefish, shark fin, beche de-mer and fish maws are famous in the international seafood market due to their quality taste and texture. The local gin is also good in taste and you can try that as well.
Indian Restaurants in Mirissa
- Tandoori Hut at Matara Road, Mirissa 81740, Sri Lanka. Contact the restaurant at +94 77 725 5452
- Chennai Darbar Restaurant at Kusum, Udupila road | near Amarasinghe rotti shop, Mirissa 81740, Sri Lanka. Contact the restaurant at +94 71 175 2217
- Barracuda at Matara Road | Udupila Junction, Mirissa 81740, Sri Lanka. Contact the restaurant at +94 77 070 7050
Shopping List Essentials
Most of the shops are located on the main Galle-Matara road. Some shops can also be found on the Paradise Road. In the main supermarket, you can stock up on either local Spirits or the more expensive branded imported spirits and wines. Mirissa is not a shopping paradise. You can buy local handicrafts as souvenirs of your memorable trip. Bargaining is mandatory in the street markets.
Mirissa is a small town so do not expect excellent medical facilities. In case of any medical need, you can visit Mirissa Rural Hospital, Udupila Medical Centre, Medical Center – Mirissa, Asiri Hospital Ltd, District General Hospital – Matara. You need to go to Colombo for any urgent medical requirement and medical facilities outside Colombo are always limited. Medical supplies are not widely available in Mirissa; travellers should carry any special medications with them.
Basics of Local Communication
(talk about the languages spoken in the location and basic etiquettes and give translation for the following phrases in the local language)
You should be a bit cautious with your interaction with the locals while in Mirissa as several conflicts among the hotel owners and the locals are reported. English is broadly understood and spoken in the good restaurants and hotels. You can also get in touch with an English speaking guide to make the local visits easy for you. Sinhala is the national language of Sri Lanka. If you are planning to visit Mirissa, you can surely keep in mind the following essential Sinhala Phrases:
|My name is…
Why Choose ICICI Lombard General Insurance (Bharti AXA General Insurance*) Travel Insurance?
Travelling overseas is always fun. It’s more fun when you know your trip is financially secure. That’s why our Travel Insurance is an ideal companion for all journeys’ of your life.
We've raised the bar in being your Car's ideal insurance companion
ICICI Lombard General Insurance (Bharti AXA General Insurance*) Advantages
Pan India Branch network Quick and easy claim settlement
Extensive Cashless Garage Network
Instant and simple policy issuance
24/7 Claim Assistance
PRESENCE ACROSS MANY COUNTRIES
COVERS ALL TRAVELS RELATED DISASTERS
FLEXIBLE PLANS FOR YOUR NEEDS
24/7 ASSISTANCE WORLDWIDE
What kinds of medical coverage’s are provided??
The following medical expenses are covered:
- Travel insurance includes medical expenses, repatriation, and emergency medical evacuation. Even dental care expenses such as acute anesthetic treatment of teeth are covered.
What is a deductible?
“Deductible”means a cost-sharing requirement under this policy, that provides that the insurer will not be liable for a specified rupee amount or percentage of claim amount or number of days or number of hours, as specified in the policy schedule and which will apply before any benefits are payable by the insurer. A deductible does not reduce the sum insured and is applicable per event, upto the specified limits mentioned.
What Is Not Covered Under the Travel Insurance Plan?
- Medical Expenses (inclusive of Repatriation and Emergency Medical Evacuation), Daily Allowance in case of hospitalization, Compassionate Visit benefits, the following will not be payable for Any pre-existing condition, Routine examinations, Expenses for rest or recuperation at spa/ health resort/ sanatorium, Pregnancy (including childbirth, miscarriage, abortion or related complications ) or treatment relating to the removal of physical flaws or anomalies (cosmetic treatment or plastic surgery).
- Cosmetic surgery, unless such cosmetic surgery is rendered medically necessary as part of treatment for accidents and burns whilst being abroad.
- Suicide, attempted or wilfully self inflicted injury or illness, mental disorder, anxiety, stress or depression, venereal disease, alcoholism, drunkenness or the abuse of drugs, or any loss arising, directly or indirectly, from any injury, illness, death, loss, expense, or other liability attributable to HIV and/or any HIV related illness including AIDS and/or any mutant derivative or variation thereof however caused.
- Treatment which could be reasonably delayed until the Insured’s return to India, which will be decided jointly by the treating Physician and the Emergency Assistance Service Provider and shall be in accordance with accepted standards of medical care.
- The Insured taking part in naval, military or air force operations; war and nuclear perils.
- Insured engaging in air travel unless he or she flies as a Fare Paying passenger in an aircraft licensed to carry passengers.
- Participation of the Insured in winter sports, mountaineering and such other professional sports or any other hazardous or potentially dangerous sport for which the Insured members are adequately trained, physically fit and using proper equipment. and that too only if specifically agreed and mentioned in the policy schedule.
- Hazardous occupation, or if engaged in any criminal or illegal act.
- Medical Expenses in respect of Experimental, investigational or unproven treatments or treatments which are not consistent with or incidental to the diagnosis and treatment of the positive existence or presence of any Illness for which confinement is required at a Hospital. Any Illness or treatment which is a result or a consequence of undergoing such experimental or unproven treatment.
- Naturopathy treatment.
- Non Allopathic treatment e.g. - Ayurvedic, Yogic, Homeopathic, Unani treatment(s).
- Under no circumstances shall this insurance contract be deemed to provide cover and no liability be incurred to pay any claim or provide any benefit hereunder to the extent that the provision of such cover, payment of such claim or provision of such benefit would expose us to any sanction, prohibition, or restriction under United Nations resolutions or the trade or economic sanctions, laws or regulations of the European Union, United Kingdom, United States of America & India
You can avail the Travel Insurance online and enjoy the benefits offered by ICICI Lombard General Insurance (Bharti AXA General Insurance*)
What Is Covered Under Travel Insurance?
Loss of passport and documents:
Reimbursement of actual expenses incurred in connection with obtaining a duplicate or fresh passport or reasonable cost of replacing/obtaining the stolen documents/ tickets if the passport belonging to the Insured / Insured Person be lost
Home Fire Insurance Contents & Home Burglary Insurance (contents):
Cover against any loss or damage of the Contents at Home of the Insured in India caused by Fire and Allied perils or through burglary and/or housebreaking while the Insured is on a trip abroad.
Hijack Distress Allowance
Payment of distress allowance in case of hijack of a common carrier for more than certain number of hours whilst on the trip. You can easily avail the allowance by filing a claim online through Travel Insurance cover online process.
Medical Expensesinclusive of Repartration and Emergency Medical Evacuation
If you are sick or injured during the journey, your medical expenses can prove to be costly. In such cases, Travel Insurance cover greatly helps. The insurance company also offers a cashless settlement with the network hospitals or you can also opt for the reimbursement process within 30 days of hospitalization.
Payment of legal costs and expenses incurred by the Insured towards claims from third Parties for compensation in respect of death or disablement arising due to an injury whilst on a trip abroad.
Payment of compensation if the Insured sustains accidental bodily injury during a trip resulting in death or Permanent Total Disablement or Permanent Partial Disablement within 12 months of occurrence of such injury.
Trip Cancellation/Or Interruption
Payment towards the non-refundable prepaid payments incurred on the trip being cancelled and additional cost of transportation in case of Interruption: due to medical problems, personal employment problems or natural disasters or other listed reason in policy wordings.
Reimbursement of additional expenses if trip is delayed beyond a period, due to airline problems, medical problems, personal employment problems or natural disasters.
Daily Allowance in case of Hospitalisation
Payment of daily allowance for the days the Insured is hospitalised beyond a specified number of days, as mentioned in the Policy Schedule, for which a valid claim is admissible under the Policy whilst on a trip abroad.Emergency Accommodation
Payment of compensation for the additional cost of emergency accommodation if the Insured/ Insured Person could not stay in the accommodation originally booked due to fire& flood, earthquake, storm, hurricane, explosion, outbreak of major infectious diseases.
Why do I need Travel insurance?
During a trip there are chances of unfortunate events such as loss of checked in baggage, medical emergency, loss of passport that can spoil your international trip, be it business or leisure. Travel insurance can protect you from such events ensuring that you are left stuck in foreign land.
ICICI Lombard General Insurance (Bharti AXA General Insurance*) provides a comprehensive cover for your car,so you can drive hassle-free.
Two Wheeler Insurance
Ride worry-free, with ICICI Lombard General Insurance (Bharti AXA General Insurance*) two wheeler insurance plan.
Safeguard the health of your loved ones with a wide range of ICICI Lombard General Insurance (Bharti AXA General Insurance*) health insurance plans.
Other Health Insurance
Safeguard the health of your loved ones with a wide range of ICICI Lombard General Insurance (Bharti AXA General Insurance*) health insurance plans
Secure your joyous family trips with ICICI Lombard General Insurance (Bharti AXA General Insurance*) international travel insurance cover.
SME Package Insurance
SME Package Insurance
Commercial Lines Insurance
Commercial Lines Insurance
Commercial Vehicles Insurance
Commercial Vehicles Insurance
Motor Third Party Insurance - Commercial
Motor Third Party Insurance - Commercial
Renew your ICICI Lombard General Insurance (Bharti AXA General Insurance*) car insurance to enjoy your non-stop drive.
Two Wheeler Insurance
Renew your ICICI Lombard General Insurance (Bharti AXA General Insurance*) Two Wheeler Insurance to continue your worry-free rides.
Renew your ICICI Lombard General Insurance (Bharti AXA General Insurance*) Health Insurance and continue to safeguard the health of your loved ones.
Health and Wellness
Health and Wellness
Become A Partner
Become A Partner