Travel Guide to Melbourne
Indian Embassy in Melbourne
344 St Kilda Rd, Melbourne VIC 3004, Australia
Phone: +61 3 9682 5800
- Original Passports with at least 6 months validity from date of travel
- Visa Application Form along with documents like Pan Card or Aadhaar Card Copy
- Covering letter mentioning details of applicants, passport details, travel details and who will bear expenses details. If self-employed required on company letterhead
- Income Tax or Form 16 for last 3 years
- Hotel Bookings
- Air Tickets / Itinerary
Disclaimer: These are the standard requirements needed to attain an Australian Visa. The visa requirements may change according to factors like employment status, age, etc.
About the Location
Melbourne is one city that regularly gets featured as the world’s most liveable city. It is Australia’s second largest city and the coastal capital of the southeastern Australian state of Victoria. There are numerous places to visit in Melbourne, like museums, art galleries and theatres, theme parks, gardens and shopping malls, and restaurants.
Apart from that, it has some of the iconic natural parks and preserves for animals like kangaroos, cockatoos, koalas and kookaburras that are part of the identity of the country. The city organises a variety of cultural fests such as the Melbourne Food and Wine Festival. Melbourne has a vast network of public transport that makes getting around the city very easy for tourists.
The following districts have several Melbourne points of interest:
- The City Center - Central Business District (CBD) and Docklands have an amazingly lively environment. With some of the best restaurants, nightclubs and pubs, this district is a haven for youngsters. The Royal Botanic Gardens should not be missed. Saint Paul’s Cathedral and National Gallery of Victoria are other important landmarks of this region.
- South Melbourne - This part of Melbourne is famous for Port Melbourne and Albert Park. Clarendon Street is immensely popular for shopping.
- Southbank - This district is popular among tourists because of some great centres for arts, ballet, theatre and opera. The Crown casino that is situated here draws a lot of tourists too. Plenty of inexpensive dining options exist here. This region is also famous for local river cruises. The Eureka Skybank is a very popular tower, frequently visited by tourists and locals.
- St Kilda - This region of Melbourne is extremely popular for sunny beaches and awesome nightlife culture. The Luna Park, which was built before the second world war, is still functional and is a popular destination for families. Another place of interest for tourists is the Shrine of Remembrance. Other important places to visit here are St Kilda Botanical Gardens and the Jewish Museum of Australia.
- Stonnington - This region is considered to be the posh and high-end part of Melbourne, and comprises of places for fine dining and exclusive shopping.
- Inner East - With places like Richmond, Collingwood and Fitzroy, this region of Melbourne is considered to be the bohemian part of Melbourne. Visitors are especially drawn to restaurants offering authentic cuisines here. The pubs at Brunswick Street and Johnston Street are also very good. The Cooks’ Cottage, which is a cottage reconstructed from bricks of Captain James Cook’s home in England is also a popular spot.
- Inner North - This region is famous for its Italian culture, especially at Lygon and Rathdowne streets. Places like Melbourne Museum in Carlton and Melbourne Zoo in Parkville draw huge tourist crowds.
With this long list of places, the tourists are never short ofthings to do in Melbourne.
How to Reach
Melbourne Airport, also known as the Tullamarine Airport, is the major airport connected by international carriers. Some of the top direct and connecting flights from major cities of India to Melbourne are Air India, AirAsia X, China Southern among others. The airport is well connected to the city by taxi, buses, shuttle buses, city cabs etc. Local flights are connected to Moorabbin airport and Essendon Airport.
Travelling within Melbourne
With an extensive network of public tram transport system, it is possible to visit all famous places in Melbourne . A great thing about Melbourne is that CBD and Docklands fall in the ‘Free Tram Zone’, that means that travelling in trams in these areas is free of cost. However, outside this zone, it is recommended that visitors get familiar with the online resources of public transport, managed by Public Transport Victoria.
Buses link most of the important tram or trains connections. The Melbourne Visitor Shuttle connects various attractions in the CBD, Docklands and Carlton.
Exploring the city by rental cars and bikes is very popular among tourists, because the roads are well marked, and it is very easy to find directions.
Best time to Visit –
Since it is situated in the Southern Hemisphere, the seasons in Melbourne are opposite to that of the Northern Hemisphere, and this should be kept in mind before planning a trip. However, Melbourne is one of the rare places that can be enjoyed in any season.
- Autumn or Spring: The most popular time of the year to visit Melbourne is generally Autumn, between March and May, or Spring- between September and November. The temperature is just right during these months for exploring tourist places in Melbourne. However, the airlines and hotels tend to be expensive.
- Winters: Winters in Melbourne, from June to August, can be quite cold, but this time of the year is most favourable for economic air travel. In this weather, skiing is an added bonus that you can experience in the city.
- Summers: Summers, between December and February, are quite unpredictable. The temperature can suddenly jump several degrees higher than the previous day. Many people avoid travelling to Melbourne during this time. However, some tourists prefer this weather to witness the Australian Grand Slam Open and Australian Grand Prix sports events.
What to Pack?
Depending on the season that the travellers visit Melbourne, they should pack:
- Light cotton clothes like shorts, shirts, trousers and denim pants, and a cotton jacket during spring, summers and autumn
- Warm clothes, woollen caps, gloves, thick socks and good shoes during winter time. The night can get especially chilly and thus, it is recommended to layer up
- A comfortable pair of shoes or sandals should be carried throughout the year
Being a cosmopolitan city, Melbourne has plenty of options for eating out. Global cuisines like Oriental, African, Indian, European, Thai and Japanese are easily found here. Some of the key delicacies that you can find here are actually authentic dishes from all over the world. Some examples are as follows:
- Fish mackerel dumplings
- Ricotta hotcakes
- Duck waffles
- Double patty smash burgers
- Meat doughnuts
- Boat noodles
Indian Restaurants in Melbourne
- Tonka at 20 Duckboard Pl, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia. Contact the restaurant at 96503155.
- Conservatory at Crown Entertainment Complex 8 Whiteman St | 8 Whiteman St, Southbank, Melbourne, Victoria 3006, Australia. Contact the restaurant at +61 3 9292 5777
- Melba Restaurant at 1 Southgate Ave | The Langham, Southbank, Melbourne, Victoria 3006, Australia. Contact the restaurant at +61 3 8696 8888
Shopping List Essentials
Some of the souvenirs to be bought from Melbourne are:
- Opals are considered to be Australia’s national gemstone. Many authentic jewellery shops in Melbourne have a great collection of these stones
- Sherrin Football, which has been the official football of the Australian Football League
- Fridge magnets and other paraphernalia from iconic places like the Melbourne Cricket Grounds, and Luna Park
- A jar of Vegemite, which is a popular Australian lunch spread
Melbourne has some very advanced healthcare options, some of which are listed below.
- Epworth Healthcare, East Melbourne
- Mercy Private Hospital, East Melbourne
- Royal Women’s Hospital, Parkville
- Spot Check Clinic, South Yarra
- Jessie McPherson Private Hospital, Clayton
The Australian dollar is the official currency in Melbourne.
Basics of Local Communication
English is the most widely spoken language in Melbourne. Because of a high number of immigrants, plenty of other languages like Italian, Chinese, and Greek are also spoken, but almost everyone can communicate in English. All official signboards are in English so you will not have many issues with the local communication.
Why Choose ICICI Lombard General Insurance (Bharti AXA General Insurance*) Travel Insurance?
Travelling overseas is always fun. It’s more fun when you know your trip is financially secure. That’s why our Travel Insurance is an ideal companion for all journeys’ of your life.
We've raised the bar in being your Car's ideal insurance companion
ICICI Lombard General Insurance (Bharti AXA General Insurance*) Advantages
Pan India Branch network Quick and easy claim settlement
Extensive Cashless Garage Network
Instant and simple policy issuance
24/7 Claim Assistance
PRESENCE ACROSS MANY COUNTRIES
COVERS ALL TRAVELS RELATED DISASTERS
FLEXIBLE PLANS FOR YOUR NEEDS
24/7 ASSISTANCE WORLDWIDE
What kinds of medical coverage’s are provided??
The following medical expenses are covered:
- Travel insurance includes medical expenses, repatriation, and emergency medical evacuation. Even dental care expenses such as acute anesthetic treatment of teeth are covered.
What is a deductible?
“Deductible”means a cost-sharing requirement under this policy, that provides that the insurer will not be liable for a specified rupee amount or percentage of claim amount or number of days or number of hours, as specified in the policy schedule and which will apply before any benefits are payable by the insurer. A deductible does not reduce the sum insured and is applicable per event, upto the specified limits mentioned.
What Is Not Covered Under the Travel Insurance Plan?
- Medical Expenses (inclusive of Repatriation and Emergency Medical Evacuation), Daily Allowance in case of hospitalization, Compassionate Visit benefits, the following will not be payable for Any pre-existing condition, Routine examinations, Expenses for rest or recuperation at spa/ health resort/ sanatorium, Pregnancy (including childbirth, miscarriage, abortion or related complications ) or treatment relating to the removal of physical flaws or anomalies (cosmetic treatment or plastic surgery).
- Cosmetic surgery, unless such cosmetic surgery is rendered medically necessary as part of treatment for accidents and burns whilst being abroad.
- Suicide, attempted or wilfully self inflicted injury or illness, mental disorder, anxiety, stress or depression, venereal disease, alcoholism, drunkenness or the abuse of drugs, or any loss arising, directly or indirectly, from any injury, illness, death, loss, expense, or other liability attributable to HIV and/or any HIV related illness including AIDS and/or any mutant derivative or variation thereof however caused.
- Treatment which could be reasonably delayed until the Insured’s return to India, which will be decided jointly by the treating Physician and the Emergency Assistance Service Provider and shall be in accordance with accepted standards of medical care.
- The Insured taking part in naval, military or air force operations; war and nuclear perils.
- Insured engaging in air travel unless he or she flies as a Fare Paying passenger in an aircraft licensed to carry passengers.
- Participation of the Insured in winter sports, mountaineering and such other professional sports or any other hazardous or potentially dangerous sport for which the Insured members are adequately trained, physically fit and using proper equipment. and that too only if specifically agreed and mentioned in the policy schedule.
- Hazardous occupation, or if engaged in any criminal or illegal act.
- Medical Expenses in respect of Experimental, investigational or unproven treatments or treatments which are not consistent with or incidental to the diagnosis and treatment of the positive existence or presence of any Illness for which confinement is required at a Hospital. Any Illness or treatment which is a result or a consequence of undergoing such experimental or unproven treatment.
- Naturopathy treatment.
- Non Allopathic treatment e.g. - Ayurvedic, Yogic, Homeopathic, Unani treatment(s).
- Under no circumstances shall this insurance contract be deemed to provide cover and no liability be incurred to pay any claim or provide any benefit hereunder to the extent that the provision of such cover, payment of such claim or provision of such benefit would expose us to any sanction, prohibition, or restriction under United Nations resolutions or the trade or economic sanctions, laws or regulations of the European Union, United Kingdom, United States of America & India
You can avail the Travel Insurance online and enjoy the benefits offered by ICICI Lombard General Insurance (Bharti AXA General Insurance*)
What Is Covered Under Travel Insurance?
Loss of passport and documents:
Reimbursement of actual expenses incurred in connection with obtaining a duplicate or fresh passport or reasonable cost of replacing/obtaining the stolen documents/ tickets if the passport belonging to the Insured / Insured Person be lost
Home Fire Insurance Contents & Home Burglary Insurance (contents):
Cover against any loss or damage of the Contents at Home of the Insured in India caused by Fire and Allied perils or through burglary and/or housebreaking while the Insured is on a trip abroad.
Hijack Distress Allowance
Payment of distress allowance in case of hijack of a common carrier for more than certain number of hours whilst on the trip. You can easily avail the allowance by filing a claim online through Travel Insurance cover online process.
Medical Expensesinclusive of Repartration and Emergency Medical Evacuation
If you are sick or injured during the journey, your medical expenses can prove to be costly. In such cases, Travel Insurance cover greatly helps. The insurance company also offers a cashless settlement with the network hospitals or you can also opt for the reimbursement process within 30 days of hospitalization.
Payment of legal costs and expenses incurred by the Insured towards claims from third Parties for compensation in respect of death or disablement arising due to an injury whilst on a trip abroad.
Payment of compensation if the Insured sustains accidental bodily injury during a trip resulting in death or Permanent Total Disablement or Permanent Partial Disablement within 12 months of occurrence of such injury.
Trip Cancellation/Or Interruption
Payment towards the non-refundable prepaid payments incurred on the trip being cancelled and additional cost of transportation in case of Interruption: due to medical problems, personal employment problems or natural disasters or other listed reason in policy wordings.
Reimbursement of additional expenses if trip is delayed beyond a period, due to airline problems, medical problems, personal employment problems or natural disasters.
Daily Allowance in case of Hospitalisation
Payment of daily allowance for the days the Insured is hospitalised beyond a specified number of days, as mentioned in the Policy Schedule, for which a valid claim is admissible under the Policy whilst on a trip abroad.Emergency Accommodation
Payment of compensation for the additional cost of emergency accommodation if the Insured/ Insured Person could not stay in the accommodation originally booked due to fire& flood, earthquake, storm, hurricane, explosion, outbreak of major infectious diseases.
Why do I need Travel insurance?
During a trip there are chances of unfortunate events such as loss of checked in baggage, medical emergency, loss of passport that can spoil your international trip, be it business or leisure. Travel insurance can protect you from such events ensuring that you are left stuck in foreign land.
ICICI Lombard General Insurance (Bharti AXA General Insurance*) provides a comprehensive cover for your car,so you can drive hassle-free.
Two Wheeler Insurance
Ride worry-free, with ICICI Lombard General Insurance (Bharti AXA General Insurance*) two wheeler insurance plan.
Safeguard the health of your loved ones with a wide range of ICICI Lombard General Insurance (Bharti AXA General Insurance*) health insurance plans.
Other Health Insurance
Safeguard the health of your loved ones with a wide range of ICICI Lombard General Insurance (Bharti AXA General Insurance*) health insurance plans
Secure your joyous family trips with ICICI Lombard General Insurance (Bharti AXA General Insurance*) international travel insurance cover.
SME Package Insurance
SME Package Insurance
Commercial Lines Insurance
Commercial Lines Insurance
Commercial Vehicles Insurance
Commercial Vehicles Insurance
Motor Third Party Insurance - Commercial
Motor Third Party Insurance - Commercial
Renew your ICICI Lombard General Insurance (Bharti AXA General Insurance*) car insurance to enjoy your non-stop drive.
Two Wheeler Insurance
Renew your ICICI Lombard General Insurance (Bharti AXA General Insurance*) Two Wheeler Insurance to continue your worry-free rides.
Renew your ICICI Lombard General Insurance (Bharti AXA General Insurance*) Health Insurance and continue to safeguard the health of your loved ones.
Health and Wellness
Health and Wellness
Become A Partner
Become A Partner