Travel Guide to Kowloon
Indian Embassy Near Kowloon
Unit A, 16th Floor
Visa Process for Indians
- Original passport with 6 months validity from day of arrival
- Cover letter mentioning the details of the travel and all the details of the traveller
- Bank statements for last 6 months updated with a balance of INR 1,60,000/- as the closing balance
- Confirmed hotel booking required on the hotel’s letter head mentioning the details of the passengers. Online portal bookings are not accepted for this visa application.
- Confirmed air tickets
- Day to Day Itinerary
Encompassing the northern part of Hong Kong, Kowloon is a famous district known for arts, shopping and entertainment. Its name comes from the term Nine Dragons referring to eight mountains and a Chinese emperor. During the 1860s, the area was controlled by Britishers who mainly used it for tiger-hunting expeditions. Today, it is one of the most famous urban areas in Hong Kong and is home to various interesting tourist attractions.
Top Places to Visit in Kowloon
Owing to the famous tourist attractions and plenty of things to do in Kowloon, the district attracts a huge number of travellers every year. Below is the list of popular places to visit in Kowloon:
- Hong Kong Museum of History
A fascinating museum showcasing the history and heritage of Hong Kong, this is a must-visit place in Kowloon. There are basically eight permanent exhibitions which take you on a roller coaster ride to the Hong Kon’s past. There is also a café and a gift shop in the museum from where you can buy various souvenirs. The museum is located near Hong Kong Science Museum, so you can also visit that tourist attraction. The entry is free on Wednesdays and otherwise costs around HK$10.
- Avenues of Stars
Located along Tsim Sha Tsui, it is one of the most popular tourist attractions in Kowloon where people love to take a stroll amidst the beautiful promenade. This area has around 100 plaques having the autographs and handprints of celebrities who have made huge contributions to the local film industry. Visit it during the night and enjoy the incredible light show.
- Wong Tai Sin Temple
A charming temple located in Kowloon, Wong Tai Sin Temple is dedicated to three major religions in China, namely, Buddhism, Taoism and Confucianism. The beautiful temple is built according to the Chinese architecture sprawling across 18,000sqm. Some of the crucial places in the temple are the Three-Saint Hall, the Nine Dragons Wall and the Taoist Temple.
- Lei Cheng Uk Han Tomb Museum
Found in 1955, this museum houses an Eastern Han dynasty brick tomb and an exhibition gallery. There are various calligraphic symbols and inscriptions on the tomb brick, which indicate that the tomb was built during the Eastern Han dynasty (25 - 220 AD). There is no entry fee here, and it takes around 20 minutes to explore the area. So if you are visiting Tonkin Street, do take the short walk to this museum and witness its magnetism.
- Victoria Harbour
As the name suggests, this is a harbour located between Hong Kong island and Kowloon. When you are visiting Kowloon, you just cannot miss this one as it offers breathtaking scenery and energetic ferry rides to explore the skyline of the city. Apart from these, some other famous tourist attractions in Kowloon include Lai Chi Kok Park, Chi Lin Nunnery and Kowloon Park.
How to Reach
Reaching Kowloon is easy as the district is quite near to Hong Kong International Airport people travelling from India can take various flights from cities like Delhi, Mumbai and Chennai among others. Some of the airlines that operate from India to Hong Kong include Air Asia, Singapore Airlines, Malaysia Airlines, Jet Airways, Cathay Pacific to name a few. Bus and taxi services are also accessible outside the airport to travel across different locations.
Best Time to Visit
The time from October to April is best to visit Kowloon. The weather remains charming, and you will not have any trouble while exploring the tourist attractions in Kowloon. However, if you are going on a budget trip, visit the city in the month of May when the prices for accommodation are quite affordable.
Things to Pack
When packing for the trip, it is important that you check the weather conditions and then decide clothes and footwear you wish to take on the vacation. Here is a short packing list for Kowloon:
- Colourful and light clothes
- Comfortable and classy footwear
- First aid kit
- Important documents including travel insurance policy
- Sunglasses and hats
- Essential toiletries
Kowloon is famous for its lip-smacking food; so where you visit it, try to relish as many dishes as you can. To help you with the food-to-eat list, here are some suggestions:
- Dim Sum: A trip to Kowloon is incomplete without tasting dim sums. This little delight is available on plenty of eateries in the city and varies from being steamed and baked to pan-friend and deep fried.
- Roast Meat: This one is the mouthwatering treasure that you must enjoy in Kowloon. There are various types of roast meats served along with a bowl of fragrant rice or noodles.
- Congee: Prepared with ingredients like meat slices, pork ball, fish belly or fresh prawn, this is a type of porridge which is usually eaten in breakfast. Some of the shops where you can taste the best Congee are Sang Kee Congee Shop and Congee King.
- Egg Tarts: One of the favourite local snacks, Egg tart is commonly prepared using two styles of crust; a crumbly shortcrust and a flaky puff pastry. Try them when they are freshly made, and you will definitely crave for more.
Other top delicacies you can try are Snake soup, Hotpot, Milk tea and beef brisket noodles.
Shopping List Essentials
Kowloon is famous for its lively markets that offer a unique shopping experience to the travellers. Some of the famous places in Kowloon where you can indulge in are:
- Jade Market: This market offers you a wide collection of jewellery made of semi-precious stone jade. You can get artistically designed rings, ornaments, pendants and other pieces in precious stones that will leave you in awe. If you are on a budget shopping, pick up a yellow or brown jade.
- Temple Street Night Market: Famed as the largest night market in Hong Kong, Temple Street is filled with a huge variety of things to buy. Be it fashion accessories, toys, electronic or copied designer clothes, you can shop it all at this incredibly popular market.
- Elements: One of the famous shopping malls in Kowloon, Elements is surrounded by plenty of high-end shops. Apart from shopping, you can also enjoy a wide range of amenities including entertainment, fine-dining and leisure activities.
- Festival Walk: With countless retail outlets and amazing restaurants and entertainment options, Festival Walk must be on your shopping spree list. Some of the famous brands that you can explore here include H&M and Mango. Moreover, the mall has also gained huge popularity as it houses Asia’s biggest ice-skating rink which is a must-try on your trip here.
Some other shopping hubs in Kowloon include iSQUARE, Miramall, Sneaker Street Market, Ladies’ Market and many more.
Top Indian Restaurants
- Bombay Dreams
Location: 77 Wyndham Street, Hong Kong, China
Contact: +852 2971 0001
- Namaste Kitchen
Location: G/F, No.38 Queens Road West, Sheung Wan, Hong Kong, China
Contact: +852 2795 7555
- Saravanaa Bhavan
Location: 4/F, Ashley Centre, 23-25 Ashley Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, Hong Kong, China
Whenever you are travelling abroad, it is essential to have some information about the healthcare centres of the country to seek help in case of any medical emergency. Some of the hospitals that you can contact include:
- Kowloon Hospital
Location: 147A Argyle St, Kowloon City, Hong Kong
Contact: +852 3129 6701
- Queen Elizabeth Hospital
Location: 30 Gascoigne Road, King's Park, Kowloon, Hong Kong
Contact: (852) 3506 7021
- Evangel Hospital
Location: 222 Argyle St, Ma Tau Wai, Kowloon, Hong Kong
Contact: 2711 5222
Moreover, it is advised that you should also buy a travel insurance policy before going to Kowloon. With a travel insurance policy in hand, you will not face any trouble regarding medical aid and get the proper treatment on time.
Hong Kong Dollar is the official currency which is used in Kowloon. The banknotes are in denominations of HK$20, HK$50, HK$100, HK$500 and HK$1000.
Basics of Local Communication
Both English and Chinese are the official languages in Hong Kong. Therefore you will not have much trouble in travelling across the cities. However, it would be nice to learn a few words and phrases in the local language to ease your local communication. A majority of people speak Cantonese and therefore try to focus on that. Here are some common phrases and words you can learn:
|How are you
||Lay hoe ma
|My name is
|How much is it
||Ching mun, gay daw cheen
Why Choose ICICI Lombard General Insurance (Bharti AXA General Insurance*) Travel Insurance?
Travelling overseas is always fun. It’s more fun when you know your trip is financially secure. That’s why our Travel Insurance is an ideal companion for all journeys’ of your life.
We've raised the bar in being your Car's ideal insurance companion
ICICI Lombard General Insurance (Bharti AXA General Insurance*) Advantages
Pan India Branch network Quick and easy claim settlement
Extensive Cashless Garage Network
Instant and simple policy issuance
24/7 Claim Assistance
PRESENCE ACROSS MANY COUNTRIES
COVERS ALL TRAVELS RELATED DISASTERS
FLEXIBLE PLANS FOR YOUR NEEDS
24/7 ASSISTANCE WORLDWIDE
ICICI Lombard General Insurance (Bharti AXA General Insurance*) provides a comprehensive cover for your car,so you can drive hassle-free.
Two Wheeler Insurance
Ride worry-free, with ICICI Lombard General Insurance (Bharti AXA General Insurance*) two wheeler insurance plan.
Safeguard the health of your loved ones with a wide range of ICICI Lombard General Insurance (Bharti AXA General Insurance*) health insurance plans.
Other Health Insurance
Safeguard the health of your loved ones with a wide range of ICICI Lombard General Insurance (Bharti AXA General Insurance*) health insurance plans
Secure your joyous family trips with ICICI Lombard General Insurance (Bharti AXA General Insurance*) international travel insurance cover.
SME Package Insurance
SME Package Insurance
Commercial Lines Insurance
Commercial Lines Insurance
Commercial Vehicles Insurance
Commercial Vehicles Insurance
Motor Third Party Insurance - Commercial
Motor Third Party Insurance - Commercial
Renew your ICICI Lombard General Insurance (Bharti AXA General Insurance*) car insurance to enjoy your non-stop drive.
Two Wheeler Insurance
Renew your ICICI Lombard General Insurance (Bharti AXA General Insurance*) Two Wheeler Insurance to continue your worry-free rides.
Renew your ICICI Lombard General Insurance (Bharti AXA General Insurance*) Health Insurance and continue to safeguard the health of your loved ones.
Health and Wellness
Health and Wellness
Become A Partner
Become A Partner
What kinds of medical coverage’s are provided??
The following medical expenses are covered:
- Travel insurance includes medical expenses, repatriation, and emergency medical evacuation. Even dental care expenses such as acute anesthetic treatment of teeth are covered.
What is a deductible?
“Deductible”means a cost-sharing requirement under this policy, that provides that the insurer will not be liable for a specified rupee amount or percentage of claim amount or number of days or number of hours, as specified in the policy schedule and which will apply before any benefits are payable by the insurer. A deductible does not reduce the sum insured and is applicable per event, upto the specified limits mentioned.
What Is Not Covered Under the Travel Insurance Plan?
- Medical Expenses (inclusive of Repatriation and Emergency Medical Evacuation), Daily Allowance in case of hospitalization, Compassionate Visit benefits, the following will not be payable for Any pre-existing condition, Routine examinations, Expenses for rest or recuperation at spa/ health resort/ sanatorium, Pregnancy (including childbirth, miscarriage, abortion or related complications ) or treatment relating to the removal of physical flaws or anomalies (cosmetic treatment or plastic surgery).
- Cosmetic surgery, unless such cosmetic surgery is rendered medically necessary as part of treatment for accidents and burns whilst being abroad.
- Suicide, attempted or wilfully self inflicted injury or illness, mental disorder, anxiety, stress or depression, venereal disease, alcoholism, drunkenness or the abuse of drugs, or any loss arising, directly or indirectly, from any injury, illness, death, loss, expense, or other liability attributable to HIV and/or any HIV related illness including AIDS and/or any mutant derivative or variation thereof however caused.
- Treatment which could be reasonably delayed until the Insured’s return to India, which will be decided jointly by the treating Physician and the Emergency Assistance Service Provider and shall be in accordance with accepted standards of medical care.
- The Insured taking part in naval, military or air force operations; war and nuclear perils.
- Insured engaging in air travel unless he or she flies as a Fare Paying passenger in an aircraft licensed to carry passengers.
- Participation of the Insured in winter sports, mountaineering and such other professional sports or any other hazardous or potentially dangerous sport for which the Insured members are adequately trained, physically fit and using proper equipment. and that too only if specifically agreed and mentioned in the policy schedule.
- Hazardous occupation, or if engaged in any criminal or illegal act.
- Medical Expenses in respect of Experimental, investigational or unproven treatments or treatments which are not consistent with or incidental to the diagnosis and treatment of the positive existence or presence of any Illness for which confinement is required at a Hospital. Any Illness or treatment which is a result or a consequence of undergoing such experimental or unproven treatment.
- Naturopathy treatment.
- Non Allopathic treatment e.g. - Ayurvedic, Yogic, Homeopathic, Unani treatment(s).
- Under no circumstances shall this insurance contract be deemed to provide cover and no liability be incurred to pay any claim or provide any benefit hereunder to the extent that the provision of such cover, payment of such claim or provision of such benefit would expose us to any sanction, prohibition, or restriction under United Nations resolutions or the trade or economic sanctions, laws or regulations of the European Union, United Kingdom, United States of America & India
You can avail the Travel Insurance online and enjoy the benefits offered by ICICI Lombard General Insurance (Bharti AXA General Insurance*)
What Is Covered Under Travel Insurance?
Loss of passport and documents:
Reimbursement of actual expenses incurred in connection with obtaining a duplicate or fresh passport or reasonable cost of replacing/obtaining the stolen documents/ tickets if the passport belonging to the Insured / Insured Person be lost
Home Fire Insurance Contents & Home Burglary Insurance (contents):
Cover against any loss or damage of the Contents at Home of the Insured in India caused by Fire and Allied perils or through burglary and/or housebreaking while the Insured is on a trip abroad.
Hijack Distress Allowance
Payment of distress allowance in case of hijack of a common carrier for more than certain number of hours whilst on the trip. You can easily avail the allowance by filing a claim online through Travel Insurance cover online process.
Medical Expensesinclusive of Repartration and Emergency Medical Evacuation
If you are sick or injured during the journey, your medical expenses can prove to be costly. In such cases, Travel Insurance cover greatly helps. The insurance company also offers a cashless settlement with the network hospitals or you can also opt for the reimbursement process within 30 days of hospitalization.
Payment of legal costs and expenses incurred by the Insured towards claims from third Parties for compensation in respect of death or disablement arising due to an injury whilst on a trip abroad.
Payment of compensation if the Insured sustains accidental bodily injury during a trip resulting in death or Permanent Total Disablement or Permanent Partial Disablement within 12 months of occurrence of such injury.
Trip Cancellation/Or Interruption
Payment towards the non-refundable prepaid payments incurred on the trip being cancelled and additional cost of transportation in case of Interruption: due to medical problems, personal employment problems or natural disasters or other listed reason in policy wordings.
Reimbursement of additional expenses if trip is delayed beyond a period, due to airline problems, medical problems, personal employment problems or natural disasters.
Daily Allowance in case of Hospitalisation
Payment of daily allowance for the days the Insured is hospitalised beyond a specified number of days, as mentioned in the Policy Schedule, for which a valid claim is admissible under the Policy whilst on a trip abroad.Emergency Accommodation
Payment of compensation for the additional cost of emergency accommodation if the Insured/ Insured Person could not stay in the accommodation originally booked due to fire& flood, earthquake, storm, hurricane, explosion, outbreak of major infectious diseases.
Why do I need Travel insurance?
During a trip there are chances of unfortunate events such as loss of checked in baggage, medical emergency, loss of passport that can spoil your international trip, be it business or leisure. Travel insurance can protect you from such events ensuring that you are left stuck in foreign land.