Travel Guide to Al Muharraq
Indian Embassy at Muharraq
Indian Embassy in Bahrain
Building 1090, Rd No 2608, Seef, Bahrain
Hours: Open today • 8AM–12PM, 2–4PM
Phone: +973 1771 2683
Visa Process for Indian Visitors to Muharraq
- Copies in color of the first and last page of the passport along with the observation page if any.
- Confirmed air tickets with E-ticket number
- Confirmed Hotel reservations
Visa Processing Time: 10-15 working days
Muharraq is a famous tourist attraction running along the Muharraq Island in Bahrain. Muharraq island (formerly called Moharek) is the second largest island in the 33 archipelagos of Bahrain. It is a short drive from Manama; i.e. about 4km run from the capital city of Bahrain. It is Bahrain’s third largest city and was the capital of Bahrain till 1923. It has a strong historical and cultural heritage dating back to 3000 BCE. The prime economic activity is pearling, and Muharraq is also famous for its artwork and religiousness.
A prominent part of the Muharraq tourist showcase is the traditional Bahrain houses. The Sheikh Isa Bin Ali House is the most distinctive of the lot given its stunning display of plush ornate panels and carved doors tturning it into one of the most happening tourist places in Muharraq.
In 2012, certain portions of Muharraq Island were designated as the UNESCO World Heritage Site since it has a rich history associated with pearling. The UNESCO sites include a total of seventeen historic buildings, Abu Mahir Fort, and three offshore oyster beds making it a key Muharraq point of interest. One must visit the Siyadi House for a peek into the pearling cultural heritage of Muharraq. It is a traditional building which was owned by a pearl merchant.
Places to Visit in Muharraq
- The Bahrain National Museum is among the most famous places to visit in Muharraq. It is the largest and among the oldest public museum in Bahrain. When in Muharraq, visit this place located close to the King Faisal Highway in Manama, at a short distance away from both Manama and Muharraq.
- Arad Fort is a popular historical tourist spot. It was built in the 15th-century as a separate guard for an island then. Now, it has been joined to Muharraq.
- Beit Al Qur'an is a place to explore your interest in the subject of Islamic Arts, one of the prime things to do in Muharraq. It is a multi-purpose complex and a holistic destination to cater to the kids and the family with picnic areas, rides and playground, resorts plus shops in-house.
- Muharraq's Falcon Monument is located close to the Bahrain International Airport, it is a very special sight - a large statue of a falcon.
- Dohat Arad Park is for people who enjoy walking or running in an open park space. It is ideal to spend time here with the family or take a walk around in nature.
- Bin Matar House was built in 1906 and is a traditional house under the authority of the Sheikh Ebrahim Centre for Culture and Research. It belonged to a pearl merchant and was opened to the public as a museum to present the history of pearls. Similarly, the Kurar House was officially opened as a public place in 2007 and preserves examples of the dying and unique Bahraini art of Kurar embroidery. Here, you can find a huge collection of Kurar-embroidered clothes.
How to Reach Muharraq
Muharraq is located at a short distance of about 4km from Manama. So, a journey to Muharraq has to be routed through Manama, which in turn, is well-connected to the Bahrain International Airport and the King Fahd International Airport.
Manama is an important transport centre in the Gulf region, and the best way to reach here is- by flight. Muharraq via Manama is connected to all major destinations across Asia, Europe, US, Middle East, etc.
SABTCO's Bahrain Limo taxis links the airport and the city of Manama.
Travelling in Muharraq
Taxis are the most dependable choice to connect with Muharraq and travel within the city too. Rental cars are another good option.
Best Time to Visit
During the summers, the days are long, sweltering and it's hot and humid. In the winters, the climate is dry, windy but comfortable. The sky is clear mostly during the complete year. For a summer visit, the best months are April up to mid-May and then, mid-October to end of the November.
The rainy season is evident during January. To indulge in outdoor activities, the best time to visit Muharraq is from mid-November to mid-April. The last week of November is the best time to enjoy the outdoor activity pleasure.
During the summertime, plan a trip from April to mid-May and from mid-October up to November.
In Muharraq, there are many local events, giving you another reason to visit the city.
Spring of Culture is a packed art show where the visitors can enjoy dance, art, theatre, music and a host of cultural activities. The festival takes place between February to April every year.
Food is Culture is organised in January and is full of festive spirit shared by chefs, foodies, artists and experts forging a link with food, art and culture locally.
Bahrain Heritage Festival is an annual and globally reputed festival that reflects the country’s keen interest in preserving its rich heritage. Since its inception in 1992, the festival is an attempt to revive Bahrain’s heritage and culture and thus, protecting its memories. Here the tourists are greeted with fine craftsmen work, pottery, basket-weaving, handicrafts; traditional Bahraini music, pearl-related functions, such as pearling folk songs, showing traditional divers in action, and so forth.
Bahrain Summer Festival is a dazzling display of performing arts, folk music display and educative sessions about the heritage of music and art in the region plus pearling and fishing sessions.
The Bahrain Authority for culture and Antiquities organises National Day and Accession Day celebrations in December.
What to Pack?
- Carry a versatile style of clothing. Include comfortable, loose-fit and cotton fabrics preferably
- Always wear modest clothes covering your knees and shoulders
- For an evening out, carry smart casuals or dresses in modest fashion
- Carry flip flops, comfortable pair of shoes and for the evening outs, carry something elegant to match the dress
- Carry the essential creams like the sunscreen, sun moisturizer, and sunglasses, brimmed hats, etc.
Don’t forget to pack travel insurance as well. It’ll cover for any mishaps you face on the trip, due to baggage or document loss, or even medical emergency.
There is plenty on the menu and your platter with a mix of Indian, Arabic and Turkish food.
There is Tabouleh, a salad dish prepared by soaking bulger in water and adding herbs and local vegetable and then, garnishing it with parsley and mint.
There is Hummus on fresh warm bread and the fresh and finely grilled Chicken Tikka.
The dessert bit is done with Hussein Mohd. Showaiter Sweets, the most popular Muharraqi sweet merchants. Have something sickly sweet and delicious.
Indian Restaurants in Muharraq
- Rasoi by Vineet at Al Fateh Street, Gulf Hotel, Manama, Bahrain. Serves Indian and Asian cuisine, and is vegetarian friendly. Contact the hotel at +973 1771 3000
- Lanterns at Street 3828/3825, Building 829, Manama, Bahrain. Serves Indian and Asian cuisine, considered vegetarian friendly. You can contact the restaurant at +973 1724 6777
- Baharat Restaurant at Sheikh Khalifa Bin Salman Highway, Le Meridien Bahrain City Center, Al Seef District, Manama, Bahrain International. Serves international, Mediterranean and Middle Eastern cuisines. Contact the restaurant at +973 1717 1441
Shopping List Essentials
- Muharraq Souq has many options to splurge on the local crafts, Arabic sweets and some everyday items.
- Dragon City Bahrain- is an indoor Chinese style of a souk in the city. You get items such as electronics, gadgets, clothes, toys at affordable prices here.
- Al - Seef mall Muharraq has everything in order including clothes and supermarkets.
- Busaad Art Gallery is a shopping hub for contemporary art or anything associated with artwork like the postcards or paintings.
Following are some of the prominent healthcare centres in Muharraq:
- Bahrain Medical Center
- North Muharraq Health Centre
- Middle East Medical Center (MEM)
- Bahrain Specialist Hospital
- German Orthopaedic Hospital
You can also contact your travel insurer for the list of networked hospitals and clinics. Networked hospitals may allow cashless treatment, which could be useful in case of emergency.
Emergency Contact Numbers
- Police/ Fire department: 999
- Ambulance: 998
- National Emergency call centre: 999
- Fire accidents: 997
- Emergency – casualty bureau: 990
- Emergency – Criminal Investigations (CID): 992
- Emergency – Coast Guard (CGD): 994
- Traffic police: 199
- International Emergency Number: 112
Do’s and Don’ts of Muharraq
- Greetings: Reply to ‘Asalam-O-Alaikum’ (peace be upon you) with ‘Walikum-Asalam’ (and peace be upon you)
- Etiquettes: Leave your shoes outside the mosques or religious places. Calling people with prefixes like Mr, Sheikh or Haji
- Being a Guest: Accept invitations to dinners and gatherings. On a tea (Qahwa) party drink at least and only two cups. Place your hand on top of the cup while returning it to the host after you are done (indicating that you will not drink more).
- Always Carry Your Passport
- Drinking & Smoking: Drinking is prohibited, so forget about it, cigarettes are not, so may smoke. However, avoid both during Ramadan, especially in public places and day time.
- Fashion Sense: Never wear shorts in public
- Discussion Points: Avoid talking about religion and politics unless you only wish to learn about traditions and not criticize them.
Basics of Local Communication
The official language in Bahrain is Arabic. It is mostly a mix of Classical Arabic and Modern Standard Arabic spoken in local dialects. Classic Arabic is the one in which Quran was written. Modern Standard Arabic (MSA) is for the contemporary, everyday use. Further, there is a variety of Arabic Bahrani Arabic which is spoken in urban and rural areas both.
Bahrani speech in Muharraq is accented and consists of several dialects. Its unique features include the distinctive ‘ee’ sound in end of every question.
English is also widely spoken in Bahrain. There are newspapers in English, and it is the second compulsory language in schools. Then too, it is good to know the Arabic language simple phrases to appear tourism-ready and conversant together.
|My name is
||al raja fi
|How much is this?
||kam hdha fi
Why Choose ICICI Lombard General Insurance (Bharti AXA General Insurance*) Travel Insurance?
Travelling overseas is always fun. It’s more fun when you know your trip is financially secure. That’s why our Travel Insurance is an ideal companion for all journeys’ of your life.
ICICI Lombard General Insurance (Bharti AXA General Insurance*) provides a comprehensive cover for your car,so you can drive hassle-free.
Two Wheeler Insurance
Ride worry-free, with ICICI Lombard General Insurance (Bharti AXA General Insurance*) two wheeler insurance plan.
Safeguard the health of your loved ones with a wide range of ICICI Lombard General Insurance (Bharti AXA General Insurance*) health insurance plans.
Other Health Insurance
Safeguard the health of your loved ones with a wide range of ICICI Lombard General Insurance (Bharti AXA General Insurance*) health insurance plans
Secure your joyous family trips with ICICI Lombard General Insurance (Bharti AXA General Insurance*) international travel insurance cover.
SME Package Insurance
SME Package Insurance
Commercial Lines Insurance
Commercial Lines Insurance
Commercial Vehicles Insurance
Commercial Vehicles Insurance
Motor Third Party Insurance - Commercial
Motor Third Party Insurance - Commercial
Renew your ICICI Lombard General Insurance (Bharti AXA General Insurance*) car insurance to enjoy your non-stop drive.
Two Wheeler Insurance
Renew your ICICI Lombard General Insurance (Bharti AXA General Insurance*) Two Wheeler Insurance to continue your worry-free rides.
Renew your ICICI Lombard General Insurance (Bharti AXA General Insurance*) Health Insurance and continue to safeguard the health of your loved ones.
Health and Wellness
Health and Wellness
Become A Partner
Become A Partner
PRESENCE ACROSS MANY COUNTRIES
COVERS ALL TRAVELS RELATED DISASTERS
FLEXIBLE PLANS FOR YOUR NEEDS
24/7 ASSISTANCE WORLDWIDE
What kinds of medical coverage’s are provided??
The following medical expenses are covered:
- Travel insurance includes medical expenses, repatriation, and emergency medical evacuation. Even dental care expenses such as acute anesthetic treatment of teeth are covered.
What is a deductible?
“Deductible”means a cost-sharing requirement under this policy, that provides that the insurer will not be liable for a specified rupee amount or percentage of claim amount or number of days or number of hours, as specified in the policy schedule and which will apply before any benefits are payable by the insurer. A deductible does not reduce the sum insured and is applicable per event, upto the specified limits mentioned.
What Is Not Covered Under the Travel Insurance Plan?
- Medical Expenses (inclusive of Repatriation and Emergency Medical Evacuation), Daily Allowance in case of hospitalization, Compassionate Visit benefits, the following will not be payable for Any pre-existing condition, Routine examinations, Expenses for rest or recuperation at spa/ health resort/ sanatorium, Pregnancy (including childbirth, miscarriage, abortion or related complications ) or treatment relating to the removal of physical flaws or anomalies (cosmetic treatment or plastic surgery).
- Cosmetic surgery, unless such cosmetic surgery is rendered medically necessary as part of treatment for accidents and burns whilst being abroad.
- Suicide, attempted or wilfully self inflicted injury or illness, mental disorder, anxiety, stress or depression, venereal disease, alcoholism, drunkenness or the abuse of drugs, or any loss arising, directly or indirectly, from any injury, illness, death, loss, expense, or other liability attributable to HIV and/or any HIV related illness including AIDS and/or any mutant derivative or variation thereof however caused.
- Treatment which could be reasonably delayed until the Insured’s return to India, which will be decided jointly by the treating Physician and the Emergency Assistance Service Provider and shall be in accordance with accepted standards of medical care.
- The Insured taking part in naval, military or air force operations; war and nuclear perils.
- Insured engaging in air travel unless he or she flies as a Fare Paying passenger in an aircraft licensed to carry passengers.
- Participation of the Insured in winter sports, mountaineering and such other professional sports or any other hazardous or potentially dangerous sport for which the Insured members are adequately trained, physically fit and using proper equipment. and that too only if specifically agreed and mentioned in the policy schedule.
- Hazardous occupation, or if engaged in any criminal or illegal act.
- Medical Expenses in respect of Experimental, investigational or unproven treatments or treatments which are not consistent with or incidental to the diagnosis and treatment of the positive existence or presence of any Illness for which confinement is required at a Hospital. Any Illness or treatment which is a result or a consequence of undergoing such experimental or unproven treatment.
- Naturopathy treatment.
- Non Allopathic treatment e.g. - Ayurvedic, Yogic, Homeopathic, Unani treatment(s).
- Under no circumstances shall this insurance contract be deemed to provide cover and no liability be incurred to pay any claim or provide any benefit hereunder to the extent that the provision of such cover, payment of such claim or provision of such benefit would expose us to any sanction, prohibition, or restriction under United Nations resolutions or the trade or economic sanctions, laws or regulations of the European Union, United Kingdom, United States of America & India
You can avail the Travel Insurance online and enjoy the benefits offered by ICICI Lombard General Insurance (Bharti AXA General Insurance*)
What Is Covered Under Travel Insurance?
Loss of passport and documents:
Reimbursement of actual expenses incurred in connection with obtaining a duplicate or fresh passport or reasonable cost of replacing/obtaining the stolen documents/ tickets if the passport belonging to the Insured / Insured Person be lost
Home Fire Insurance Contents & Home Burglary Insurance (contents):
Cover against any loss or damage of the Contents at Home of the Insured in India caused by Fire and Allied perils or through burglary and/or housebreaking while the Insured is on a trip abroad.
Hijack Distress Allowance
Payment of distress allowance in case of hijack of a common carrier for more than certain number of hours whilst on the trip. You can easily avail the allowance by filing a claim online through Travel Insurance cover online process.
Medical Expensesinclusive of Repartration and Emergency Medical Evacuation
If you are sick or injured during the journey, your medical expenses can prove to be costly. In such cases, Travel Insurance cover greatly helps. The insurance company also offers a cashless settlement with the network hospitals or you can also opt for the reimbursement process within 30 days of hospitalization.
Payment of legal costs and expenses incurred by the Insured towards claims from third Parties for compensation in respect of death or disablement arising due to an injury whilst on a trip abroad.
Payment of compensation if the Insured sustains accidental bodily injury during a trip resulting in death or Permanent Total Disablement or Permanent Partial Disablement within 12 months of occurrence of such injury.
Trip Cancellation/Or Interruption
Payment towards the non-refundable prepaid payments incurred on the trip being cancelled and additional cost of transportation in case of Interruption: due to medical problems, personal employment problems or natural disasters or other listed reason in policy wordings.
Reimbursement of additional expenses if trip is delayed beyond a period, due to airline problems, medical problems, personal employment problems or natural disasters.
Daily Allowance in case of Hospitalisation
Payment of daily allowance for the days the Insured is hospitalised beyond a specified number of days, as mentioned in the Policy Schedule, for which a valid claim is admissible under the Policy whilst on a trip abroad.Emergency Accommodation
Payment of compensation for the additional cost of emergency accommodation if the Insured/ Insured Person could not stay in the accommodation originally booked due to fire& flood, earthquake, storm, hurricane, explosion, outbreak of major infectious diseases.
Why do I need Travel insurance?
During a trip there are chances of unfortunate events such as loss of checked in baggage, medical emergency, loss of passport that can spoil your international trip, be it business or leisure. Travel insurance can protect you from such events ensuring that you are left stuck in foreign land.
We've raised the bar in being your Car's ideal insurance companion
ICICI Lombard General Insurance (Erstwhile Bharti AXA General Insurance*) Advantages
Pan India Branch network Quick and easy claim settlement
Extensive Cashless Garage Network
Instant and simple policy issuance
24/7 Claim Assistance