Anxiety or nervousness in a situation is normal. However, in cases wherein the person feels anxious and tensed all the time and his daily routine is hindered, is something one needs to be cautious of. In case of an anxiety disorder, the person remains tensed and worried all the time and anticipates the worst to happen. A number of reasons can cause anxiety amongst youngsters and adults.
- Family history of anxiety disorders
- Gender; Women are at an increased risk
- Excessive consumption of alcohol and substance abuse
- Lack of social connections or loneliness
- Personal reasons such as poverty, job stress and other such reasons
- Acute emotional or mental illness such as depression/ phobia
- Happenings in the past (especially during childhood)
- In case of anxiety, you shall feel tired, restless, worried and complain of frequent pains in your body.
- You may always get a feeling that something undesirable/ harmful is about to happen
- Muscle tension, headaches and backaches are common
- Unexpected weight loss
- Unable to focus or concentrate
- Episodes of hot flashes
- The doctor may ask you questions/ symptoms and ask you for your medical history. He may then suggest a few tests to rule out the presence of illnesses that could be bringing out the symptoms.
- There are no specific laboratory tests to diagnose anxiety as such.
- Once diagnosed, the doctor may suggest lifestyle changes along with medications. You may be prescribed with anti-depressants to manage the associated symptoms.
- He may also recommend psychotherapy (a type of counselling) that shall help you in case of any emotional problem.
- You may also choose to try relaxation techniques such as meditation, tai chi and yoga. They have been found to benefit many with anxiety disorder.
Explore our Offerings
No compromising when it comes to health, right? That’s why, we’re here to help you stay insured at all times. Look out for our products that match your insurance needs.