Please wait... We are calculating your premium.

Checklist for Buying a Second-hand Motorcycle

Buying a used Motorcycle? Here’s a Checklist of Documents

A motorcycle is one of the most preferred vehicles for travelling. Be it for daily commuting or going for long rides, motorcycles are a favourite with people. Some individuals may not opt to buy for themselves a brand-new two wheeler.

One of the major reasons for this is the affordability. Most individuals prefer to buy used motorcycles as soon as they start earning. Buyers who have recently learnt to ride also prefer a used bike over a new one.

There are many sellers available and many online websites carry out a trade of used vehicles. Although buyers are assured of the bikes optimum working condition, it’s always better for the buyers to inspect the condition of the vehicle themselves. It will eventually save a lot of money on repairs and maintenance.

Besides inspecting the vehicle for damages and non-working components, you must complete the legal formalities associated with the purchase of a second-hand vehicle. We discuss the paperwork necessary for buying a used motorcycle.

1.    Registration Certificate:

The registration certificate (RC) book contains essential details pertaining to the owner and the vehicle. Information such as the owner’s name, the motorcycles’ registration number, tax payment stamps, bank seal in the case of loan payment etc., can be found in the RC book.

Upon purchase of the motorcycle, you will have to get the owner’s name (seller) changed to a new one. You can do this by submitting the owner’s RC book at the nearest RTO.

2.    Insurance Certificate:

 Every owner must have an auto insurance for his vehicle. The insurance can be transferred to the buyer in case the owner sells the vehicle. If the trade takes place within the timespan of the insurance policy, the insurance provider will transfer the policy to the buyer. In case the policy has lapsed, the buyer can apply for a new two-wheeler insurance cover.

Many online websites provide a comparison of various insurance offers. You can easily renew two-wheeler insurance online.

3.    Transfer of ownership Certificates

The certificates required for transfer of ownership are form no. 28, 29 and 30. The first, form no. 28 is called the No Objection Certificate (NOC). Form no. 29 is a Notice of Transfer of Ownership. Finally, form no. 30 is the report of transfer of ownership. Submit filled copies of these forms to the RTO.

4.    PUC certificate

The Pollution Under Control (PUC) certificate  is issued to vehicles older than six months. The test certifies that the vehicle’s emission complies with current standards. If the previous owner does not possess a PUC certificate, you must get the test done immediately.    

These documents are important to complete the procedure of transfer. All the documents must be submitted to the RTO.

Bharti AXA Advantages





Request Call Back

Disclaimer :The information published on this website is for the public's reference only. Content of this information is to provide an overview of your Insurance needs and should not be relied upon for personal, medical, legal or financial decisions and you should consult an appropriate professional for specific advice for Travel/Health/Motor. Bharti AXA General Insurance Company Limited makes no representations about the suitability, reliability, timeliness, and accuracy of the information, travel, services, or any other items mentioned on this subject for any purpose whatsoever.

Error Occured
Error Occured